1973 starcraft 120hp mercruiser & I need HELP!!!

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice
I was recently bought by a 1973 starcraft 120hp mercruiser and I am in a world of hurt. It has a soft floor, needs the trim unit put back on, needs a alternater bought and installed, has dangling mysterious wires around the engine compartment and also under the instrument panel. I have no manuals on this boat, motor, or anything else and no idea on where to go or ask to get any of it. I am new to boating in every way and am need of some serious guidance.Helllllllllllp!

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 starcraft 120hp mercruiser & I need HELP!!!

I was recently bought by a 1973 starcraft 120hp mercruiser and I am in a world of hurt.

Wow, that sounds weird... ;)

At the top of this forum there is a section titled "Adults Only". There is a wealth of information in there including service manuals for Mercruiser Engines and Drives along with guidelines on basic information you should include in your posts. Here's a quick link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

You may want to go to the Boat Restoration and Building section of iBoats Forum here's a quick link http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

chiefalen

Captain

Welcome aboard !

Have any mechanical know how at all ?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Hope ya got a Big Toolbox....
And,..
An even Bigger Wallet...

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sunk shift, lOl.

I also have a junky Starcraft.

cabinfever

Recruit

I also have a 73 starcraft , and started where you are. If you have a place to work on this boat, and are willing to spend some time, it will make a wonderfull boat. This is a large project and you must have mechanical skills as well as some fabrication skills! It is my opinion that you will have way more money in this boat than you could ever get back out of it, that being said I love mine and would'nt trade it or the experiance for anything. My philosiphy is to view the project as a therapy session, far better than watching tv! And when it's done, a whole new session begins. Goodluck:)

PS If the project is properly carried out you should find several empty wine bottles in the boat at the end of the project!

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome aboard !

Have any mechanical know how at all ?

Have way too much "automotive repair ability". Not enough to be real good, just enough for the whole world to deliver their cars to me to fix. Unfortunately, I don't know how much this will help in marine applications because I'm not real sure how the boat is supposed to act when it was new.I will probably ask a lot of stupid questions, so maybe I can at least provide some comedy relief.

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, that sounds weird... ;)

At the top of this forum there is a section titled "Adults Only". There is a wealth of information in there including service manuals for Mercruiser Engines and Drives along with guidelines on basic information you should include in your posts. Here's a quick link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

You may want to go to the Boat Restoration and Building section of iBoats Forum here's a quick link http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Wow, That link for boat engines is awesome. Unbelieveable! Now, while your giving out miracles, can you tell me where to find specifics on the boat itself, or did you already and I just missed it in the link. Example: Instrument panel specs and associated wiring schematics. Regardless, Thank you.

Bondo

Staff member

Example: Instrument panel specs and associated wiring schematics. Regardless, Thank you.

Ayuh,...

You're Not going to find anything Specfic to Your boat,...
But,...
Down in the Electronics forum,...
There's a Sticky with some generic diagrams that'll give you some insights to what goes where...

Also,... In the Adults Only sticky in this forum is a Gold Mine of Great Info....
Including the factory Mercruiser manuals...

cabinfever

Recruit

Hey Sunkship,
Just curious as to what lenth and model starcraft you have. You mentioned your boat having a soft floor, Have you checked the transom? Water gets traped between the plywood and aluminum and rots it from the inside out. It's not as bad as it sounds, I've done two of them it's an easy one day project. Keep me posted, I love these old boats and would love to see another one come back to life. I am attaching a photo of mine, it's a 21ft chriftain, I comletely gutted it and brought it back about 8 years ago and its been a great boat since.

Thanks Robin

Attachments

• DSCF0003[1].jpg
    DSCF0003[1].jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

chiefalen

Captain

Alright a worthy man, doing a worthy restore.

Got a pic of all the dangling wires ? Maybe we can give some insight to where they go.

This boat was used in fresh water ?

First thing i would do is yank the drive, reason is it needs a water pump impeller anyway, and then you can inspect everything in the billows.

Also when you go to start it ( easy not so fast ) we will know it's not the drive freezing the motor up.

What i can tell you straight off is purple is the main power to everything.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might try going to the owners group forum. I see Starcraft has a group... you'll probably find a lot of info from other Starcraft owners. Go to the bottom of the page and open the forum jump tab and scroll down to Starcraft group. Good luck on your project and keep us updated.

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Sunkship,
Just curious as to what lenth and model starcraft you have. You mentioned your boat having a soft floor, Have you checked the transom? Water gets traped between the plywood and aluminum and rots it from the inside out. It's not as bad as it sounds, I've done two of them it's an easy one day project. Keep me posted, I love these old boats and would love to see another one come back to life. I am attaching a photo of mine, it's a 21ft chriftain, I comletely gutted it and brought it back about 8 years ago and its been a great boat since.

Thanks Robin

I have a 18ft 1973 starcraft supersport 120hp I/O. I'm extremely interested in how or what you had to do to get them done in one day, and also what kind of wood to use. I was under the impression this was going to be a never ending saga. Thanks Carl

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have 1973 ss. I bought both mercruiser 1973 manuals for 50.00 0n ebay.
They have everything in them ,better then the others.
if you cant find any i might be able to help but not for a week or two as my scannner is down. wiring scematics are there too. as far as starcraft boat manual never seen one.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1971 Starcraft Holiday with a 120 Mercruiser, if you need any pics to help you or info on the your boat feel free to ask. I no just about every inch of this boat. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

I am sure glad to see you do your part in helping out the economy by purchasing a boat ! LOL...

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

I have 1973 ss. I bought both mercruiser 1973 manuals for 50.00 0n ebay.
They have everything in them ,better then the others.
if you cant find any i might be able to help but not for a week or two as my scannner is down. wiring scematics are there too. as far as starcraft boat manual never seen one.

Can you give me some ideas the best place to buy parts ie.-ebay, here maybe, online somewhere else? I need alternator belt, plug so boat doesn't sink, prop, roller that boat slides on on the trailer and who knows what else and have no idea the cheapest place to pick these things up. Also the best reference to know what nomenclature of part I need. I would be grateful for any insight or advice you might have. Regardless, thanks in advance.
Sincerely Sunk Ship

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Heres a guy i buy from he is sorta a boat junk yard. You don't have one near you?

http://stores.ebay.com/Cheap-Boat-Parts-Warehouse_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

Also, do I have to use 3/4" wood or is it safe to use 1/2" to replace my floor? And, I don't have 2 or 3 months to let my PT wood dry before installing and don't have the cash flow to afford marine grade plywood. Can I use standard cheap untreated plywood. Suggestions??

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1971 Starcraft Holiday with a 120 Mercruiser, if you need any pics to help you or info on the your boat feel free to ask. I no just about every inch of this boat. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

I am sure glad to see you do your part in helping out the economy by purchasing a boat ! LOL...

I am thinking about maybe flipping my boat over to repaint outside of hull since I'm stripping out most of inside to redo rotten floor and most that extra weight would be removed. Any ideas how to remove engine (1973 120hp mercruiser i/o) and all connected apparatus so that flipping boat upside down is feasible. Anyone?