Winterizing 350 MAG 3 point drain system

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have contacted Merc about my question and I am still sleeping uneasy about the answer they gave me. I bought a boat down in Florida a few months ago, trailered it up to North Carolina and winterized it, then finished trailiering it back up to Connecticut for winter storage in on of my warehouses. I have to remove it from the warehouse this week so I wanted to check to make sure pink antifreeze came out of the cooling system.

The boat is a 2006 crownline with a 350 MAG MPI with the bravo outdrive. According to the manual, my system is the 3 point manual setup. 2 blue plugs on the sea water pump port side, 1 blue plug on the distrubution housing starburd side (there is no blue valve *i guess some do*), and one blue plug at the thermistat housing.

Here is what I am worried about. I pulled all the plugs and turned it over a few times like the dirrections said. Only about a quart of water came out. I questioned it but i read the directions completely so i continued on. I took off the main hose at the top and begain the never ending fill of pink antifreeze. It took all of 6 gallons to fill it up. After trailering it home, i put it in the warehouse thinking everything was set. 2 months go by and i am still wondering if everything went okay so yesterday i went and pulled the blue plug on the distrubution housing. This is what was odd, again only about a quart of fluid came out. I would say it was a mix of 50/50 of water and pink. Now I am worried that there is still water in the block. I pulled the 2 plugs on the seawater pump and that was nice and pink.

Why did water mix in with the pink stuff in the distrubtion housing when i made sure everything was flushed. When I filled the motor with antifreeze i waited for it to come out of every drain plug before capping it off. Another thing, where the hell did that 6 gallons of pink antifreeze go??? I thought for sure I was going to get flooded out when i pulled those plugs out. Is sort of like a outboard and gravity took over and drained some of the system? Kind of a silly question but thats the only thing I can think of as to where the dluid went. I have another boat with a 5.0 and that thing drained water for what seemed a lifetime. This boat was the complete opposite.

Did I do it right? Am I safe for the freezing elements?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing 350 MAG 3 point drain system

Pesonally, I hate those systems. There is no way to verify they drain everything as they should.
You need to pull all the plugs and hoses and use a stiff wire to probe the holes and makes sure they aren't plugged up.

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pull the hoses to the manifold you mean? How am I sure water is completly out of the block. I am serously considering dumping the green crap down there for the rest of the winter. That way if it mixes with water it wont matter as much.

The lady from Merc said take the thermistat housing off and see if the motor still has antifreeze in it. I doubt it will considering when i pulled the plug, nothing came out.

Damn these people for comming up with a lame system. I like having all the plugs everywhere.

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don,
I pulled off the hoses to the 2 manifolds and no water came out (good sign i guess). Also there are 2 small hoses that go to either side of the block. I am guess those are the hoses that drain the block. They go to a manifold thats hooked up to the seawater pump and the disribution block. I am guessing that everything is drained. Are those hoses in fact to the block or do I have to find a plug to unscrew to drain it. The directions say to close the valve to the seawater pump, unscrew the 4 plugs and let it drain for 5 minutes.. Where is that valve and do I have to worry about it? I will fill it back up with antifreeze again but wont it just drain back out?

Thanks

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When you pulled the hoses off of the manifolds and the block did you put something up into the hole(small scewdriver, wire,etc.) to see if the hole was clear? If nothing came out of the hole(water or antifreeze) then the hole is probably blocked and needed cleaned out.

abrx7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh fluid definitly comes out. When i start to fill it back up with the antifreeze I left the plugs out to make sure I flushed out all the water. Fluid comes gushing out so there is really no plugs. After all the hoses were pulled and reattached, I put 2 gallons in just for ha ha's. After aprox 45 seconds, most of that worked its way out the outdrive. I am pretty sure I am going to be safe. Thanks for all your help.

One last thing. Should I leave the blue plugs out for the rest of the winter or put them back in? Part of me says leave them in so none of the cast rusts, the other half of me says to take them out just incase there is a bit of water still hiding. Whats your opinion?

Don S

How am I sure water is completly out of the block.

That IS the big problem with the 3 point and single point drain system, you have absolutely NO WAY of knowing if anything was plugged up or not.
If it was my boat, that drain system would be gone and regular ole brass pipe plugs from any hardware store installed. Then you can remove the plug, poke a wire in the hole and make sure it's clear and know it's empty.

If you take the plugs out, you cannot put antifreeze in it, becuase it would drain out where you took the plug out.
Remember 1 thing. AIR DOES NOT FREEZE. if it's empty nothing is going to break. You DO NOT need antifreeze in the system

Chefcyclone

Recruit

Pesonally, I hate those systems. There is no way to verify they drain everything as they should.
You need to pull all the plugs and hoses and use a stiff wire to probe the holes and makes sure they aren't plugged up.

I totally agree with that. Every motor I've had a some amount of junk in the ports. There is no way to tell which port the water came from once it goes into the drain manifold.

Chefcyclone

Recruit

That IS the big problem with the 3 point and single point drain system, you have absolutely NO WAY of knowing if anything was plugged up or not.
If it was my boat, that drain system would be gone and regular ole brass pipe plugs from any hardware store installed. Then you can remove the plug, poke a wire in the hole and make sure it's clear and know it's empty.

If you take the plugs out, you cannot put antifreeze in it, becuase it would drain out where you took the plug out.
Remember 1 thing. AIR DOES NOT FREEZE. if it's empty nothing is going to break. You DO NOT need antifreeze in the system

Does the antifreeze help in any way protect the internals of the cooling system? Or, am I just as good draining it?

GA_Boater

Ancient thread and Don is looking down on us from above. RIP

And Don would tell you to read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.