whats the correct quicksilver or mercruiser oil filter for a 260hp 5.7L?

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did some searching on here didn't find it.

This is in my 84 year boat so I assume it's an 84 too it's a 260hp chevy 5.7L mercruiser engine.

would walmart carry a marine filter for it? asin a quicksilver or a mercruiser brand? anyone know the part number for the filter I need in the quicksilver brand?

I'm gonna go with their 25w40 mercruiser oil too does walmart carry that? or am I better off ordering this stuff?

also anyone know the correct number quicksilver/mercruiser water seperator filter?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: whats the correct quicksilver or mercruiser oil filter for a 260hp 5.7L?

Quicksilver IS Mercury/Mercruiser. SAME EXACT parts as Merc, just different packaging
Quicksilver brand can be sold by outles other than a Mercury/Mercruiser dealers.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Quicksilver IS Mercury/Mercruiser. SAME EXACT parts as Merc, just different packaging
Quicksilver brand can be sold by outles other than a Mercury/Mercruiser dealers.

Don,

Isn't the 5.7, just a 350 engine (marine, of course)?

And doesn't that mean that any automotive 350 oil filter from, say, PepBoys...would do just fine?

Just curious....

Don S

Don,

Isn't the 5.7, just a 350 engine (marine, of course)?

And doesn't that mean that any automotive 350 oil filter from, say, PepBoys...would do just fine?

Just curious....

Yes, they will FIT, but their quality is as debatable as which oil to use and automotive vs. marine parts, and we don't want to go there again.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, they will FIT, but their quality is as debatable as which oil to use and automotive vs. marine parts, and we don't want to go there again.

Got it...on the oil. I use the recommended Mercury multi-viscosity blend.

Agreed...on the marine parts for the engine (alternators, starters, carbs, etc.).

But...what could be different about the oil filter? The oil system is contained...and no different from the oil system in my Vette...?

Don S

Rocky, read the link below for a start, and please, if you have any further questions about oil filters, start a new thread.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
NOTE: Only one of many comparisons.

This thread belongs to weider1717 and asked the difference between Merc and Quicksilver brands. Not all brands.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Rocky, read the link below for a start, and please, if you have any further questions about oil filters, start a new thread.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
NOTE: Only one of many comparisons.

This thread belongs to weider1717 and asked the difference between Merc and Quicksilver brands. Not all brands.

I beg to differ, Don...weider1717 asked if he could get an oil filter for his engine at Walmart.

I asked you if any oil filter for a 350 engine wouldn't be just fine.

A straight answer to my question, would have been a great help to weider1717, and saved him a lot of needless shopping.

But...whatever.

Don S

Sorry Weider1717, but Rocky wants to make this his thread, so whatever you ask is now secondary.
I will answers his questions.
I beg to differ, Don...weider1717 asked if he could get an oil filter for his engine at Walmart.

Actually, he asked only about Quicksilver and Merc, and MARINE filters.
would walmart carry a marine filter for it? asin a quicksilver or a mercruiser brand?
I asked you if any oil filter for a 350 engine wouldn't be just fine
And I said they would fit but were debatable as to quality and gave example.

A straight answer to my question, would have been a great help to weider1717, and saved him a lot of needless shopping.
See post number 4 in this thread. How could I not answer it any straighter?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

This is addressed to Weider1717:

There is no MARINE SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION oil filter for your 5.7 Mercruiser engine. There is nothing special required to make your oil filter marine ready.

There are oil filters marketed under the Mercury/Quicksilver brand...but they are not made any different than the oil filters that are sold (by the thousands) everyday for the zillions of 350 engines on the road. There are, of course, different levels of quality of oil filters (see Don's above link)...and that is the buyer's choice. But don't be confused into thinking that your marine engine REQUIRES a marine brand name...it just ain't so.

In short...if you can find an oil filter, that meets your standards, for your 5.7 engine at Walmart...use it! Don's link lists the better brands. I personally use the Mobil 1 oil filter on my Vette...and that is one of the highly rated in the link. Amsoil is also mentioned. As are several others. All available on the Walmart shelves....

That was the point of my questions. Not to "hijack" your thread...but to make you realize that you have a GM engine in your boat, and you have a 'ton' of oil filters readily on hand, just for the taking. It would have been easy for others to simply help you see, that you do not have to search 'high and low'...or special order...an oil filter for your 5.7.

Peace,
John

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is addressed to Weider1717:

There is no MARINE SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION oil filter for your 5.7 Mercruiser engine. There is nothing special required to make your oil filter marine ready.

There are oil filters marketed under the Mercury/Quicksilver brand...but they are not made any different than the oil filters that are sold (by the thousands) everyday for the zillions of 350 engines on the road. There are, of course, different levels of quality of oil filters (see Don's above link)...and that is the buyer's choice. But don't be confused into thinking that your marine engine REQUIRES a marine brand name...it just ain't so.

In short...if you can find an oil filter, that meets your standards, for your 5.7 engine at Walmart...use it! Don's link lists the better brands. I personally use the Mobil 1 oil filter on my Vette...and that is one of the highly rated in the link. Amsoil is also mentioned. As are several others. All available on the Walmart shelves....

That was the point of my questions. Not to "hijack" your thread...but to make you realize that you have a GM engine in your boat, and you have a 'ton' of oil filters readily on hand, just for the taking. It would have been easy for others to simply help you see, that you do not have to search 'high and low'...or special order...an oil filter for your 5.7.

Peace,
John

well on my 96 z71 truck which has a 5.7 vortec and on my 95 vette which has a lt1 350 I use a ac delco PF52 on both..I would think that is the ac delco brand correct part number for this engine then?

I'll look into it a little but thats what I'll probably put on it. I bet thats a better filter than mercruiser/quicksilvers filter for this engine.

ac delco makes quality stuff. I use mobil one in my car and truck but I will go with the marine grade oil by mercruiser since it has great anti rust additives..I do think that is worth going marine grade for.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

I looked in the box of stuff my grandpa had that had something to do with the boat...I found a oil filter! wonder if this is to THIS boat he had a couple over the years but this one he bought new so I think this is to this boat.

the box says AP (aqua power" high efficiency marine oil filter.... # 6007 I guess thats the part number..it's also wrote on the filter.

anyone ever heard of this AP company?

he also had like a 1975 searay 20-21ft boat one time for a few years it was a v8 I think it was a ford tho..this could be for that boat not sure.

on the bottom of the filter I found this number A020996H2

says aqua power is out of new orleans and 1993 is on the filter

haven't found anything on this aqua power company is why I ask.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I looked in the box of stuff my grandpa had that had something to do with the boat...I found a oil filter! wonder if this is to THIS boat he had a couple over the years but this one he bought new so I think this is to this boat.

the box says AP (aqua power" high efficiency marine oil filter.... # 6007 I guess thats the part number..it's also wrote on the filter.

anyone ever heard of this AP company?

he also had like a 1975 searay 20-21ft boat one time for a few years it was a v8 I think it was a ford tho..this could be for that boat not sure.

on the bottom of the filter I found this number A020996H2

says aqua power is out of new orleans and 1993 is on the filter

haven't found anything on this aqua power company is why I ask.

Ditch the 'mystery' oil filter!

Stick with your AC Delco plan...and your choice of the Mercury oil.

TilliamWe

Banned

weider, Chevy 350s of your vintage (and for many many moons before and a several after) used a PF25 or a PF35. One is longer than the other, only difference. I "believe" that a Super Tech brand ST5 is the same as that. So consequently, a Fram TG5 or SG5 or whatever prefix plus the number 5 will fit your motor. Good luck

chiefalen

Captain

Listen you want to keep it all stock buy a quicksilver oil filter. That way you got merc oil, merc filter, and if you need a belt buy merc.

Oem merc parts are the ones made for your motor.

So that being said you can't go wrong.

ME I BUY THE CHEAPEST STUFF THAT FITS MY MOTOR AND OIL ALSO.

I figure the boat is 23 years old and i know the cheapest stuff was used all these years. Cause i know the original buyer of the boat.