• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Removing Mercruiser engine and outdrive

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Mercruiser engine and outdrive

Just have one simple question...does anyone have a step by step on how to remove the engine and outdrive on a mercruiser 260 5.7L V8 1986 year model. Also, what should I be prepared to replace while I have the engine/outdrive out of the boat? (seals, gaskets, etc.) Need responses quick! Thanks.

Re: Removing Mercruiser engine and outdrive

Welcome aboard. Go to the top of the forum adults only.

Then to manuals, pull the year and model number manual and d/l it.

Comment

You do need to download the manual as Chief mentions, but I don't know if it will give you a complete "step by step" of doing the entire job. Having said that, it is not terribly difficult if you have ever pulled an engine.

Basically you need to remove the outdrive first, and the manual will tell you how to do that.

Then you remove the engine. Unplug the main wiring harness, any ground wires / cables.... fuel hose... etc. Most of that is self evident. The main thing is to remove the side mounts with the engine. Take out the lag bolts, or whatever you have holding the mounts to the stringers instead of trying to remove the mounts from the engine. While the engine out is out be sure the side mounts are clean and easy to adjust - you will need to adjust things when re-installing. But now I'm getting ahead of myself.

Comment

Ayuh,....

This should be your Motor,...

And,.. This should be your Drive....

And this 1 is just a real Good general Info site...
        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Yep, I got all the manuals downloaded and printed. we actually got the outdrive and engine out last night. Today I ordered the new starter and a new lower shift cable kit. One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?

Comment

One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?
            Ayuh,... All the Tricks are right there in the Manual.......
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Hope you ordered oem cable Don says they are much better and coated with teflon.

Comment

I actually was able to find a shop manual at http://www.georgiawatersports.com that fit my needs perfectly. It gives step by step instructions on how to do pretty much everything. I think it is the ticket to getting this job done. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by sheltonchris1 View Post
                  Today I ordered the new starter and a new lower shift cable kit. One question, is there a trick to changing the lower shift cable to be sure not to break something?
                  I don't remember what year they changed, but you might want to double check which way your old shift cable threaded into the bell housing - from forward or aft. The new style cable threads from the aft side and if you are replacing the old style you will need to tap the threads. It takes a straight tap (NPS - National Pipe Straight) instead of a tapered (NPT - National Pipe Tapered). If the cable you are replacing is already the newer style, then you're good to go!

Also - it is MUCH easier to replace the cable with the engine out of the way, so be sure to install the new cable BEFORE re-installing the engine.

With the engine out it is a good time to check the bilge pump and hoses, etc.

One last item - if you boat in salt water, I suggest spraying the entire engine down with a good anti corrosion spray before you re-install it as well. It can save the oil pan, etc from getting rusty.

Comment

When I removed my 260 for a rebuild, I pretty much replaced everything--such as gimble bearing, shift cable, universal and exhaust hose. (Get the kit!)I even replaced the trim and limit switches. Its all easy to do when the engine is out. If you don't want to blanket everything with new parts, then the key is to INSPECT it closely, and replace whats needed. What to look for will be explained in the manual.
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X