Left or Right hand rotation, Mercruiser 260

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Forum search turned up nothing useful to this quesiton:

I am in the process of rebuilding heads and came across the head gasket selection of Right or Left hand rotation. I have right hand rotation set in hand.
(5.7 ltr, GM 350)

I can tell you the rotor spins in a clockwise direction when facing the motor #1 on right hand side,(not sure if this helps). Can anyone help to determine my rotation with this info?

What are the differences in the gasket set on which way the engine turns?

Any help is appriciated, :confused:

Thanks...

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Left or Right hand rotation, Mercruiser 260

this is an opinion only. I have been an automotive mechanic for 35 years and I cant see engine rotation having anything to do with head gaskets. this sounds like another "marine" only rip off

chiefalen

Captain

Thats a new one on me to. Never heard of left and right handed gaskets.

Marine gaskets yes, ie: for saltwater use are metal impregnated. And are a must if you boat in saltwater, but for marine use, use marine gaskets period.

Good luck !

Bondo

Staff member

I can tell you the rotor spins in a clockwise direction when facing the motor #1 on right hand side,(not sure if this helps). Can anyone help to determine my rotation with this info?

Ayuh,...
On a Chevy, the Distributer Always turns the Same way....
If the Pulleys on the front of the motor turn Clockwise,...It's a Standard, Left-hand Rotation...
If this is a Merc. I/O motor,.... It's Standard, Left-hand rotation....

chiefalen

Captain

Rotation is determined bye facing the motor from the rear, or flywheel side of the motor.

Left handed as Bond-o stated.

A little confusing because you looking at the front, pulley side.

chiefalen

Captain

You bought it from this site ?

Then get ready for a worry free deal.

And a wise choice cause they stand behind the products they sell 100%.

No i don't own the site or have stock in it !

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the feedback,

This is a Sierra gasket set ordered from this site, so I am confident they are marine gaskets. My main concern is the difference, would the concensus be that I return the right hand set for the left hand or does it really matter?

I just dont understand why a gasket set would make any difference on the rotation of the motor.

B - Bust
O - Out
A - Another
T - Thousand......

Thanks Guys!!

Bondo

Staff member

would the concensus be that I return the right hand set for the left hand or does it really matter?

Ayuh,...

Unless I had Both sets in my hands,+ Could, or Couldn't tell the Differences....

I'd just start out with the 1s I knew were the Right 1s in the 1st place...

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again Guys!! :D

I visited my local marine mechanic, he said the only difference is the rear main seals. Now this kit did not contain any main seals, but everything fit just right. All coolent jacket holes lined up just right.

I went ahead and bolted her together as I have no reason to believe there will be issues.

Hopefully I can be back on the water by the end of the month. Sorry to all are still winterized - Califorina is all about fishin all year long....

:cool:

Low Bridge

Cadet
What did I buy many moons ago?

What did I buy many moons ago?

I have an old 71 Chris Craft 350 Chevy I've put in an another inboard. I have placed a standard rotation starter in her. There are no makings. In short my questions is:
What is the quickst way to determine if my motor is standard or reverse rotation? Take the valve covers off & turn the motor over observing which valve close after #1-? I'm confused & have lost perspective? Hhehe-

I bought this motor many years ago-

Thanks -

hawkpilot326

Recruit

I have done quitea bit of work on these reverse rotation engines. A quick way is to look at the cam front. If the cam has a normal timing chain, its a LH engine. If the cam is driven by gears its a RH. Turn the crankshaft either left or right. If the camshaft tuns the same way as the crankshaft its a LH, if teh cam turns the oposite of the crankshaft is a RH.;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats hawkpilot, you do realize this thread is over 3 years old. Please don't post to these old threads