Mecruiser top cover bearing

JasonB

Lieutenant
I'm helping a friend replace the u-joint/carrier seal in his 83 or 84 Alpha. I suspect the unit may have been run a short distance low on fluid. In looking at the top cover bearing, the bearing cage has more play than I would expect. Outside of the bearing itself, what is needed to properly replace this bearing tool wise? I have the Merc manual, but it more/less says remove and reinstal the bearing, but it seems pressed on?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mecruiser top cover bearing

the bearing cage has more play than I would expect.

The bearings aren't supposed to be tight in the cage.

JasonB

Lieutenant

My point of reference is a standard trailer wheel bearing which seems a bit tighter than this one. I can move the cage around quite a bit, no where near the rollers falling out though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF the race and rollers aren damaged and the cage isn't bent up, everything is fine. That shaft should turn smoothly, and have a little preload when installed.

JasonB

Lieutenant

It's probably file then as it feels smooth. While I am already going in, I want to make sure to get anything in the path that may be near end of life. Don't want to do this job more than once.

Thanks Don.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the shims under that bearings race, which is in the top cover itself, sets the rolling torque for the verticle section in the upper section. If you need to replace that bearing your going to need to read the section in the manual about setting rolling torque. I believe your going to need the gear height tool as well to do the job correctly.
But as don says.... that cage isn't very tight.... how does the bearing and race look visually?

JasonB

Lieutenant

Visually it looks ok. No discoloration or apparent warping. I don't think anything of it until I felt the looseness of the cage. It still feels smooth though.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

Do you know What,+ Where you should be Looking to inspect a Cup & Cone Bearing,..??..??

I'll give you a Hint,.... The Cage is Not part of the equation... At All...

Changing that bearing means the whole Upper needs to be Set Up again...Aka, Clearances, rolling torque, etc.....
For that matter,... Are you prepared to properly Set Up the bearings you're doing Now,..??

JasonB

Lieutenant

I understand the basics of checking the bearings and it checked out until I spun it by hand, the action is fine, but the looseness surprised me a bit compared to wheel bearings and I wanted to ask to be sure. I don't have the comfort level at the moment to replace that one, so its a good thing that its ok.

I believe I can handle the seal replacement ok. I've read a few threads here detailing the tools and process and will pretty much memorize the factory manual before I start.