Mercruiser exhaust manifold leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got some bad news from the shop regarding my boat. Mercruiser 165 HP inline 6. Bad news because it's going to cost $300 for them to replace the exhaust manifold gasket. They're hoping the leak is due to a bad gasket. I debated doing this myself to try and save some money but decided to bite the bullet and let someone who knows what he's doing do it right.

Just curious, how difficult is it to replace the exhaust manifold gasket? I was quoted 2 to 2.5 hours labor (which tranlates to 5 to 7 hours if I were to try it), which is why I decided to let them do it.
They also said they're hoping it IS just the gasket and not a cracked manifold because it would be difficult to find a replacement. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this repair stops at the estimated $300.

If it is a cracked manifold, would epoxies like JB Weld work to fill the crack? If I get a phone call with more bad news of a cracked manifold I'd like to know what options I have.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser exhaust manifold leak

I just got some bad news from the shop regarding my boat. Mercruiser 165 HP inline 6. Bad news because it's going to cost $300 for them to replace the exhaust manifold gasket.

Without seeing your setup it is hard to say of course - but simply replacing the gasket should be a very easy job. UNLESS the bolts and nuts are rusted up. Having said that, I doubt it is simply a leaking gasket.

They also said they're hoping it IS just the gasket and not a cracked manifold because it would be difficult to find a replacement.

A replacement manifold should not be hard to find for an inline 6 Mercruiser.

If it is a cracked manifold, would epoxies like JB Weld work to fill the crack?

No.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it,s cracked, replace it before you ruin your motor.

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got a call from the shop. The job is done. Fortunately it was just the gasket. The manifold is ok. I probably could have saved some money trying to do it myself, but its a reputable shop and I'm confident it was done right. Another good thing, is its ready for me to take out fishing this weekend.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Glad it worked out good for you - good luck with the fishing! ;)

stinger222

Petty Officer 2nd Class

$300 to replace an exhaust gasket? I'm in the wrong business. I just did that the other day on my boat and it took about 10 min. of labor, gasket was about $4.

Might be reputable shop but they are really charging a pretty penny for their work.

drrm123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stringer222 they were highly trained technicians with sophisticated equipment. you probably would have just used a wrench or ratchet and socket and maybe a couple of screwdrivers to fix. Well someone has to help out the economy. :)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It's like I posted above however... we don't know what his set up is like. Perhaps items had to be removed from the boat itself to gain access. Maybe the bolts were rusted up. Bottom line - if you don't think you can do it yourself, then $300 is money well spent for peace of mind AND quick access back on the water. ;)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

agree with fishermark, not all boats are the same - my boat has very good access in and around the engine, I can do just about anything by lifting the sunpad and tipping the bench seat forward, but a friend has one that requires engine removal just to change spark plugs.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

$300 to replace an exhaust gasket? I'm in the wrong business. I just did that the other day on my boat and it took about 10 min. of labor, gasket was about $4.

Might be reputable shop but they are really charging a pretty penny for their work.

This is the inline 6 so the manifold is big heavy and awkward to install. Not bad considering what had to be taken off then reinstalled to to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.