No power except trim buttons??

jrpontiac

Recruit
I?ve been having a problem that started earlier this season. I have a 92 4.3l 4bl with a Alpha 1 gen II outdrive. Every so often when we are out on the water the boat will not start, it won?t crank over, voltage gauge shows 0 volts. Everything is dead (no power), except the trailer up button and the trim button. I?ll fiddle around with the key, throttle and trim buttons for less than a minute and it will get power and start up and everything will be great until it does it again. It could be the next time I start it or it maybe the following weekend. The boat never dies when running. I suspect the problem is in the throttle just don?t know where to start.

Thanks,
Jason

jluchuk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No power except trim buttons??

I would guess that your trim buttons are directly wired to your battery which is why they would work even though the engine will not turn over or start. If you have a battery switch, you need to make sure that 12 volts are getting through to the ignition switch. You should have 12 volts on the ignition switch either through the battery switch or directly wired. When you turn the key on you should send 12 volts back to your distributor for ignition running voltage. When you turn the key to start position it should send 12 volts to your starter solenoid to kick over the engine and start. You need a wiring schematic to trace the wires and 12 volts to determine which component is failing. Most likely it is the ignition switch or starter solenoid and not a wire.
Jerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason, My Alpha I had the main circuit breaker with a reset button on the front starboard side of the motor, near the slave solenoid. Maybe yours is intermittent or corroded. Also, the main ground was on the rear of the block, and it was subject to corrosion. You might check these.

Bondo

Staff member

I?ll fiddle around with the key, throttle and trim buttons for less than a minute and it will get power and start up and everything will be great until it does it again.

Ayuh,....

That's My 1st WAGuess.....

The Keyswitch,+ it's related wiring is where I'd look....