estimated cost of starter replacement

rarmstrong2

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm just curious what the estimated cost of paying someone to replace my failing starter. I know that the part is $170 but what can I expect to pay a mechanic to put it in?? Thanks for your help.

1986 Cobalt 260hp GM 8cylinder

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: estimated cost of starter replacement

All depends on how hard it is to get to.
If a bolt breaks off or is rusted bad the engine may need unbolted and lifted up.
I had that happen on a 4.3 engine in my last boat.

170 is kind of high for the starter but not too bad. You can get one online for around 100 bucks.

80 to 100 per hour is about normal labor charges around here...:rolleyes:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

It depends entirely on How Much of your boat has to be disassembled to get To the starter....

rarmstrong2

Cadet

Thanks guys...my tech said he can get me one locally for $170 with a 5 year warranty..may let him do it just in case its the wrong one he can deal with it. The price on I boats for the Sierra is $174 plus shipping. Those little starters are like gold. I can't complain, I've owned the boat 3 years and thus far (prior to) have only put a few hundred in it (minus the cover I just bought).

snoski

Seaman

I just did mine. Got lucky and found one on eBay for $50. The rear seat and two supports on both sides of the engine bay have to come out so you can lay down beside the motor. It is labor intensive and would cost as much in labor as you paid for the starter. It is not an easy job; but I enjoy doing all the work I can...

rarmstrong2

Cadet

I just did mine. Got lucky and found one on eBay for $50. The rear seat and two supports on both sides of the engine bay have to come out so you can lay down beside the motor. It is labor intensive and would cost as much in labor as you paid for the starter. It is not an easy job; but I enjoy doing all the work I can...

Great, come do mine ;-).

mthieme

Captain

I got stuck in a port 2 1/2 hours away one year when my starter decided to go south. Cost well over $300, plus a couple car rides back and forth.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

due to a manufactures design flaw that allowed the starter to sit on the stringer, motor removal was necessary to change the starter.
rusted bolts,corroded in place, broken bolts,room to access the starter ,and most likely 1 or 2 items i forgot all need to be considered when asking for a estimate.