'95 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II Trim/Tilt Trailer Switch Question

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ever since I have owned boat (13 years) When ever I would have to bring outdrive all the way up to full up position I needed to use the "trailer" switch located at the botton the control bezel. Today I notced that I could bring my drive all the way up by just using the thumb switch located on the top of of the shift/thottle lever. Everything is working fine. Trim works ok when out traveling about. I can't figure out why its just started working this way. Am I in for some surprises here? What wrong? Or is it me?

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '95 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II Trim/Tilt Trailer Switch Question

Thanks a million, great source of info. Sorry but I read through all of them several times. I can't quite nail it down. I guess the best description of my problem in the kind of language that the manual reads is, my trim switch works down/in, up/out and operates the full up or down down travel. Trailer switch also works bring drive up to the trailer position. My trim switch can be used to bring drive all the way up in the trailer position. That's is beyond the maximum trim travel that the trim switch would allow before. I can't seem to get that in the Mercruiser matrix trouble shooting section. Any suggestions? Is it trim travel out of adjustment?

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MSD58, I have a similar issue on my SeaRay with a 5.0L and Alpha I gen II outdrive. I have only had the boat for a few months, but from the post and manuals , I suspect that the trim limit switch on the port side, is in need of adjustment or has failed and thus not limiting the outdrives movement up when using the "thumb switch" and now allows the drive to move up as far as even the trailer switch will let it go.

Over the weekend I will try to adjust it according to the manual , section 4A in the number 14 manual and see if the trim switch will again limit its up travel. Anyone how knows much more than I verify this?

Thanks Ike

msd58

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Dawg let me know how you make out. I guess if its going be trouble at least we still have full use of the trim/tilt fuction. My boat stays in water so I would rather wait till the season's over. Again at least its working for now.

tmefs

Recruit

Thanks Dawg let me know how you make out. I guess if its going be trouble at least we still have full use of the trim/tilt fuction. My boat stays in water so I would rather wait till the season's over. Again at least its working for now.

This is 4 years later, but I have similar issue however, the thumb lever goes down OK, but not up. The trailer switch moves it up fine so use it to trim up (just have to be careful not to over do it and get it out of the water).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start a new thread of your own tmefs, then people will see your problem, not msd58's problem.