What was the HP rating of 1999 5.7 EFI throttle body Mercruiser?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Hello,

I'm considering the purchase of a 1999 Bryant 214 Limited runabout. It's equipped with its original Mercruiser 5.7 EFI, throttle body, Alpha One drive. I don't own it so I have no idea the motor's serial number. Always freshwater.

1. My primary question, is how many HP was this motor rated at? 260? Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

2. My secondary question: Any quirks or known problems with this particular power? Seems to me this HP is kinda close to the outer limit of what an Alpha can handle, isn't it? I sorta wish it was a Bravo, but it is what it is, and I'm pretty familiar with the Alpha having owned/maintained/repaired my current 3.0 Gen II regularly for many years. Please either make me feel better that the Alpha can handle this 5.7 EFI, or please tell me that I have a valid concern with an Alpha handling a motor of this output...I'm genuinely interested in experienced folks' thoughts on that subject.

I feel experienced enough to make a solid judgement and do appropriate checks/test as to general mechanical condition of motor and drive before I buy, and have an opportunity for extensive test-drive, but I'm mostly curious if there's something specific this particular motor/drive combo is prone to.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What was the HP rating of 1999 5.7 EFI throttle body Mercruiser?

260 hp.at the prop shaft.
Note in specs:
1 Power Rated in Accordance with NMMA (National Marine Manufacturers? Association) rating procedures.

The carbed version of the same engine is 250 hp by that spec

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you Don. Very fast!

Do I have legitimate concern with this being equipped with an Alpha One? Or do Alphas historically handle such a powerplant just fine assuming they are maintained and used properly?

Don S

The Alphas are good for 300 hp, you will be fine.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you again...just putting my mind at ease a little bit.

Now only 2 things left to do. 1. Convince the wife this is a good boat. 2. Test and check and convince myself this is a good boat.

Anyone care to gander a guess as to which of the two things above will be the most difficult?

Here's a hint: THE ANSWER IS #1.

Wish me luck. Over and out...

Don S

Anyone care to gander a guess as to which of the two things above will be the most difficult?

Without question or the hint, the answer will be #1.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Sell her on the safety aspects... And the comfort... Women love that. :D
Does the boat have a head? If not, tell her it will be real easy to put one in...