what makes a tbi from a truck different then a marine setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: what makes a tbi from a truck different then a marine setup?

You guys need to be a little more fair about the initial point of the strong reactions . . . USCG approval does matter, but if the law is based on actual part numbers and if those part numbers are not casting numbers, and if there is absolutely no difference between the parts themselves with the same part numbers, then I think you are on to something :cool: I don't think there is anybody here that after considering those ifs would argue that this isn't good news for all of us except Mercury Marine. Which is worth considering, but not worth enough for me to consider if in fact those ifs are accurate. And before anybody accuses me of blasphemy, I have seen many threads about using X or Y paint conditioner instead of the name brand's version, or X or Y cleaner instead of legitimate hull cleaner or X or Y (fill in the blank) stuff instead of the marine version and nobody flips out.

With that said, how are you going to get the marine flash file? aka chip, program, engine map, fuel rates, timing map etc. etc. etc. I do believe that this does in fact matter for engine health, performance etc . . . ;)

This kinda reminds me of a fact about my auto insurance. I, like everybody I know, believed that I had to notify my insurance company when my oldest turned 16 and got his license, so I called my agent. He said, "hmmmm I wish you would just forget you called me" . . . and I said, "What?". "Well if you hadn't called me, I wouldn't know, and then the fact that you are under no obligation to notify them would help you." So we cut out that crap and he said, "I only tell my best and oldest customers (been with this guy since '83) but your policy (FIC) doesn't require you to tell them and your car is covered for whoever drives it." So I pulled out the policy and read it from front to back and yup, no requirement to tell them and it says right on it that friends and family members are covered. So I never added him. He actually got in two accidents :eek: and I filed two claims and the insurance company knew who was driving and they still didn't require me to add him . . . True story and thank god for that as I have two right behind him . . . Check your policies, the words actually matter and are in our favor sometimes ;)

Maclin

Admiral

I have no thoughts either way on the TBI or EFI issue, but wanted all to think about how many surviving victims there are each year from explosions and fires like that. The ones who die in the explosion and subsequent fire may just be the lucky ones. The ones who survive the fire do not show up on any deaths per thousand list but are a statistic none the less. Burns are a bad deal.

I tend to lean towards the starter/alternator/ignition/breaker/relay/fuel pumps and related parts need to be Marine approved. But anything that delivers gasoline can fail, so double clamping, slower burn rate hoses, closed circuit venting, whatever things like that that can be used should be on the boat.

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

I'm running the automotive maps in my setup, and my engine runs fantastic.

At the end of the day, there is very little difference between the two setups even from the software side of things. MAYBE you would want to run a little more timming and a little leaner in the boat simply for performance reasons. The trucks cannot do this because of emmisions.

mthieme

Captain

The ones who survive the fire do not show up on any deaths per thousand list but are a statistic none the less.

Yes they do. Those numbers are available and are higher, but the extent of injury is not recorded.
Also, fires due to non-fuel related deaths and injuries, and fires due to "other" deaths and injuries.
Along with about a hundred other criteria.

Statistics are one of government's fortes. I learned first hand.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

They traded in their arms for the illusion of security as well... I don't know if that's part of the cause, based on their new found reliance on their government for security, or if it's just an effect of being disarmed 'subjects'.

DON'T GO THERE!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

One thing that seems to have been missed in all this, is the fact that should anything happen and there is an investigation, it's up to the manufacturer to provide proof and evidence that all parts were USCG compliant... If you have a custom setup, you are the 'manufacturer'.... and from that I assume you have the test data :D:D:D

Just a thought...

Chris.............

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LMAO i thought this thread ended 14 hrs ago :eek:

gverb1219

Cadet
7 year old thread and I still lmao everytime I read it.

I must admit, when I read this thread 5 years ago about swapping my "Original Volvo Penta TBI Injectors" for automotive ones I found all the numbers matched on both.
That being said, I did swap out the marine injectors for a set I found at a "Pick - a Part" auto salvage yard.
Got them out of a 1995 chevy truck. My VP 5.7l was a 2003....EXACT SAME PART #....lol
Anyway, they have been in the boat now for 5 years and just now brought them to a certified VP mechanic for cleaning.
He cleaned them, but said they should really be replaced as they were not spraying evenly any longer.
I asked about price......he took the part numbers off them, (not VP part number, the part # on the actual injector) looked them up and quoted me a price of $359 EACH from Volvo Penta........
.......at Advanced Auto the EXACT same part number the VP mechanic used.....$79 each...............if he couldn't tell they were automotive injectors............I doubt anybody else would...............yes, I put auto injectors back in again..........PLEASE DON'T TELL THE MARINE PARTS POLICE........I really don't want the injector police to track me down...............................lol....:laugh:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Each time you read this topic and laughed, did you ever remember the inactive topic 90day rule?

I thank you in advance for following the forums guidelines in the future

Topic closed

Fun Times

Staff member
Advanced Auto the EXACT same part number the VP mechanic used.....$79 each...............if he couldn't tell they were automotive injectors............I doubt anybody else would...............yes, I put auto injectors back in again..........PLEASE DON'T TELL THE MARINE PARTS POLICE........I really don't want the injector police to track me down...............................lol....:laugh:
While yes there are some instances that you can successfully cross over certain items but only if you do your homework on each individual part, part number, etc. either online or out in the field someplace it can happen and fuel injectors are no different....Sometimes it easy to find identical parts and other times it's not and Volvo likes to make it as hard as possible for you to do that.

This looks to be a long thread that I haven't read but since you've brought up a 7 year old thread, while the USCG isn't' going to come after you for the fuel injectors you've used on your engine....You are going to have the iboats marine :mod:'s ask you to please see the Help Tip at the top of the forum page asking you not to bring up old topics.:whip:Thanks and welcome back to iboats.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.