Head bolt hole stripped out!

chiefalen

Captain
Hi all, here i am again asking for advise. Never easy to do.

Installed new used head, Ran great on the trailer in the driveway. No leaks.

Go out on the bay test run. No leaks all is well. Take off the valve cover, re-adjust the rocker arms, torque down the head bolts.

The head bolt starboard side first one closest to the transom strips out.
Water starts pis-ing out between the the head and the block.Still running good.

Come home, take off the head and the corner in cracked. Run all over and find a longer bolt about 1/2. Grind down the crack cause it lifted a bit.

Ok install the head with the longer bolt has enough thread at the bottom of the hole. Bolt holding good.

Small crakc on the back side of hole externally on the block, where the bolt screws in. Water seeping out. Very,very slowly.

No water coming out of the head gasket.

I am thinking am i done.

Can this be a job for jb weld.

Drain the block make sure it's dry sand it clean it with acetone?

Will it work?

Thank you all in advance for your best guess.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Head bolt hole stripped out!

It sounds like the block is cracked and you know where to go from there.
If it is only leaking externally, you stand a chance.
Dunno if JB would work or not, but it has performed miracles in the past and it beats the alternative.
Personally, if it were less than a dribble, I'd go the cheap route and not stray too far from shore until I had confidence in knowing what was going to happen.
I've run worse, but it always got me back to the pier.

EarlyWood

Seaman

I used the two part JB weld epoxy this weekend on the cover plate at the end of the exhaust manifold. It was leaking water thru a newly cut gasket so I cranked the 4 bolts tighter. One broke flush with the housing. I removed that cover, removed the gasket, slopped on the JB Weld and it's held well, no leaks. The plate will never be removed again anyway since a new manifold is the goal, somewhere, some time.
What do you have to lose? There might be some high temperature cast iron repair JB Weld type products out there that might perform better/longer?

chiefalen

Captain

Thanks im going to give it a shot with the jb in about 2 weeks. Gonna drain the block and manifold cause i want it dry.

ziggy

Admiral

i think the repair is a new block too.

here's a product that all aledges a repair... http://www.locknstitch.com/

or ya could go see your local welder. i have a block in similar shape. a local welder said he could fix it if i brought him a stripped bare block.... said i could leave the brg.s in it though..... i've not done anything with this block as i think it's junk. anything i do would be, maybe it'll work. and i don't want to take a chance on maybe....