fuel water seperator

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Two questions:

1: Is this normal- I had to replace this filter at 70 hours when my boat started running at reduced power (changing the filter solved the problem). I just replaced it again at 130 hours for the same reason. I know I'm supposed to change it every year and that is basically what I have been doing since the boat is an '06.
2: Are these two filters interchangeable? My boat came with the "black" filter, and that's what I used for the first replacement. This year I couldn't find the same part number so I used the "white" filter.

The part numbers are 35-802893T and 35-802893Q01.

The boat is an 06 Stingray 250CR with a mercruiser 5.0 MPI and Alpha.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fuel_water.jpg
    fuel_water.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: fuel water seperator

If it fits, it works. It is pretty much that simple. I think they make a couple of different threads and lengths... so if it screws on then it is correct.

pwhoel

Cadet

I would say that is a normal life span for the filter. I changed mine at 100 hrs and then just changed it at 160 hrs because i was having running problems. Really it's one of those things that should just be changed at the beginning of every year. Nothing worse than a $10 part ruining your day on the water. also the filters should be interchangable. just make sure you don't have to use any pressure to get it on there. if it doesn't go on easy then don't try to make it work.

tommays

Admiral

For marketing reasons they sell Mercury and Quicksilver :rolleyes:

When i started getting water in my filter i removed the tube from the tank so i could get a spihon to the bottom of the tank and get out the water

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Fuel Filters don't have a certain Time Frame or Expiration Date,....

If they're full of Water,+ Crap,....

It's time to Change it,....

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sierra part#18-7845 or napa gold 3225.

pwhoel

Cadet

Ayuh,...

Fuel Filters don't have a certain Time Frame or Expiration Date,....

If they're full of Water,+ Crap,....

It's time to Change it,....

not sure if that was directed towards me or not, but i wasn't saying they do have a certain time frame. I was just saying that is the about the same life span that i got out of my filter too. Its the same with all filters, there is no set life span for a filter but there is always a recommened time frame in which the filter needs to be changed so it doesn't get clogged and allow something else to go wrong.

New2Water1981

Recruit

not sure if that was directed towards me or not, but i wasn't saying they do have a certain time frame. I was just saying that is the about the same life span that i got out of my filter too. Its the same with all filters, there is no set life span for a filter but there is always a recommened time frame in which the filter needs to be changed so it doesn't get clogged and allow something else to go wrong.

Ive had nothing but problems when redoing a 1984 MarkTwain Vsonic, think i tracked down the culpret to bad gas and new fuel/water separator....using Napa Gold 3225. Wouldnt do anything other than idle, when putting into gear, bogged out and died. checked carb fuel pump....everything, the inlet outlet lines going to and from separator were backwards from previous owner. Anyone have any suggestions on other things i may try looking at to get the boat movin

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats new2water, you really need to start a new thread with your questions, per the announcement just above the Post New Thread button.

Announcement: Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.
BradC-iboats (Administrator)