Setting the timing on a 2.3 litre ford OMC

tjohns024

Recruit
Help - I have been trying effortlessly to properly set the timing on my 1989 Bayliner, 2.3 litre Ford motor. I had an issue with the gear on the dist. cam. Had that repaired by a "Boat guy". Since then, the boat will start but wont idle. It sounds as though it is missing. I have the basic steps down, i.e., the rotor pointing to #1 cyl at TDC but I have a tough time getting the points closed and off the lobe without advancing/retarding the timing. It just does not seem to be following the basic rules here. At this point I am open to any and all feedback.

Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Setting the timing on a 2.3 litre ford OMC

Are the lobes worn?

Are you sure that the timing belt didn't jump a tooth?

I'd pull the timing belt cover off and have a look. Might as well make sure the belt is in good shape or replace it.

tjohns024

Recruit

Belt is new, carb rebuilt, fuel pump cam is new, gear in the dist cam is new. I have a new coil, new plugs and wires. Pretty much everything I can think of. the lobe is not worn and the points are A-OK. Looking for outside the box on this one. I have a manual for this boat and motor but it does not go into detail regarding the points, etc. I know the points should be closed as the rotor strikes the plug corresponding with the proper cylinder. I was planning on removing the distrbtr and rotating the rotor in a process to advance the timing slightly so that the points are closed and in the center of the flat portion of the cam lobe.

tjohns024

Recruit

The gear on the distrbtr cam and the gear on the fuel pump cam were excessively worn. Both had to be replaced. The cause is unknown except for the fact that the boat and motor are 19 years old.

Mn Warrior

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you may have the gear on the distributor installed improperly, or wrong gear. I would first check the timing belt to make sure it is indexed properly, then check firing order, then check the distributor istallation. If all is correct, I would compare the old distributor to a new one to see if the gears and rotor are in the same locations.

D

DJ

Sounds like you may have the gear on the distributor installed improperly, or wrong gear. I would first check the timing belt to make sure it is indexed properly, then check firing order, then check the distributor istallation. If all is correct, I would compare the old distributor to a new one to see if the gears and rotor are in the same locations.

Agree 100%. Also check for bushing wear in the distributor. The side to side movement of the shaft should be nearly nonexistant.

Some older auto parts stores still have distributor machines. They can check the items mentioned above.

tjohns024

Recruit

Thanks to all that provided feedback. I was successful, finally! Lesson learned. After messing with getting the #1 to TDC and the distrbtr alligned according to specs, I decided that the only thing I had not done was to replace the points and condensor. Viola! Problem solved. Although there were no real obvious signs of faulty parts it just seemed odd that the engine would fire, run smoothe for about 10 seconds and then begin to miss badly. She is now running nicely, purring like a kitten.
Again, I want to thank those that took the time to provide feedback. For anyone else with similar issues, REPLACE ALL TIMIMG COMPONENTS! Dont mkae the same mistake as I did trying to save a buck and chicken peck for a sollution. Sometimes it is the most simple sollution.