Mercruiser Neutral Safety Switch

Flags

Recruit
As I understand it this switch is in the Panel Trim Control..............how easy is it to diagnose as the intermittent start problem and then how easy is it to adjust? Is this a job for the shop mechanic or is it something that can be done by someone with a little bit of skill? This is a Mercruiser Alpha One 260 V8 in a Baretta Success 20' 1986. Symptoms are: will start any number of times with no problem and then all of a sudden absolutley nothing when the ignition key is turned..no noise, no solenoid clicking, no starter motor turn..... after a random amount of time (totally unpredictable ) it will again start on first turn.
Flags:confused

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Neutral Safety Switch

Ayuh,....

I don't know just What you're calling the "Panel Trim Control"...

The switch you're looking for is in the Shift Controller....
how easy is it to diagnose as the intermittent start problem

Ayuh,... Pretty Easy....

The next time you have a No Turn Over condition,.....
Wiggle the Shifter.... If it Starts,... That's the Problem.....

Before you go ripping apart the controller,.....
Remove, Sand, Clean, Reinstall,+ Grease, ALL of the starter/ battery connections......

I'd sooner think your Problem is dirty corroded Wiring ends....

Flags

Recruit

Bond-o, The Panel Trim Control is the same as the throttle,but it is the actual description used by Quicksilver so I thought to use that. I have cleaned every connection from the batteries to the starter slave solenoid, checked the wire harness plug , cleaned all ground wires. So by process of elimination I am at the neutral sfety switch ( also at the end of my rope ) It has started 52 times with no problem since the last incidedent when I was 5 mile off shore with 4-5' waves. Screwed around with everything I could find for 1 and 1/2 hours then called for a tow............once underway with the tow I turned the key just for drill and it turned right over.............." life is an adventure" LOL...................

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the wires from the neutral safety switch and hook them together. If your problem disappears, then the switch was bad.
Just be carefull while testing, it WILL start in forward and reverse, along with neutral.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

might want to check the crimp connectors on the back of the keyswitch as well. i see that all the time.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Something else worth checking is the fuse holder in the power lead to the keyswitch... dirty contacts and no power to nothing!!! Seen it happen... Enough current will get through to run the gauges, but not enough for the starter solenoid...

Chris........