what kind of engine i have?

lquested

Seaman
i have a 1985 celebrity calais with a 190hp mercruiser(says on the lower unit_)4 cyl engine... i have been told it is a 3.7 liter and a 470 how do i find out what i have and who makes the motor like gm, or ford..? please help cause i need a starter i got stranded in the lake yesterday :eek:with the family.:(.. and it would be easier to check for parts.. and know what i have.. thanks
lee

Bondo

Staff member
Re: what kind of engine i have?

i have been told it is a 3.7 liter and a 470 how do i find out what i have and who makes the motor like gm, or ford..?

Ayuh,....

The 470 is Mercruiser's Own creation,..... With a few Ford parts bolted onto it.....

Click on the Merc. Parts links at the top of this page,+ You should be able to find the Right Starter......

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The Mercruiser '470' was an interim engine to fill the gap created when the GM 250 (Merc 165) was dropped and before the GM V6 was introduced. They ran from 1976 to 1987.

The 470 family of engines are 3.7 litre Mercruiser built. They have a Ford 460 crank, pistons and rods, and cast iron head. The block is cast aluminium and they run closed (fresh water) cooling, due to the ali block. The engine line includes a 165hp, 170hp, 185hp, 188hp and a 190hp. The main differences between the outputs is the carb and exhaust manifold.

Many people despise the '470' engines. Personally, I don't know why. Like most machines they have their own quirks, but are generally ok.

Some parts can be difficult to find because of there limited production run.

Chris........

Dunaruna

Admiral

Stop messing about Chris, give us some detailed information. ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bore - 4.36"
Stroke - 3.75"
Compression ratio - 8.8:1
Ignition timing - 8 BTDC
WOT - 3800-4200rpm
Firing order - 1-3-4-2
Oil capacity - 5.2 litres

The water pump impeller is attached to the end of the camshaft and completely contained in a housing, no belt required. The alternator is integrated with the engine front pulley and uses the outboard method of a constant output and a regulator that dumps the excess current ans heat. Usually the regulator is water cooled. Unfortunately many owners were not too aware of this and found that after they had flooded their boat (left the bung out!) the alternator stopped working, due to corroded stator windings and/or magnets rusting and falling off the inside of the pulley. The easy fix is to fit a marinized automotive alternator and run a belt from the front pulley. The belt groove used was originally there for an optional power steering pump.

Enough for you?

Chris ..............:D:D:D

chiefalen

Captain

He's good. Does yours have the after market external alt.?