BRAVO 3 speedometer question

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here's the deal. Since the last time I'd talked to you guys I've upgraded. I traded my 89 cobalt in on a 08 23' Larson w/ 5.7L and bravo 3. I've got bout 8hrs on it and today I'd had it out on the river and was running it trying to get the motor broke in and there was just a lil trash coming down and I hit just a lil stick and my speedometer quit working (stuck at the mph I was running and is slowly going down). I trimmed it up and felt (and now with it out of the water reconfirmed) and everything looks good on the drive, and props and the skeg but above the skeg and above the horizontal shaft that is the prop shaft on the front part of the drive there is a lil notch that looks like it's always been there. When I trimmed it up there was a lil bit of wood stuck in it I pulled it out and it still didn't work. Now on my alpha one gen one I know it had a speedo so I really don't know how these bravo 3's pick up there speed. Is this lil groove "hole" it or was it just an imperfection in the alluminum casting? If it is the speed pickup how in the heck do i get whatever is left in there out???

Thanks guys,
Doogie

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: BRAVO 3 speedometer question

If this is the hole your referring to you should try a small drill bit. Do not use a drill motor , just turn it with your fingers.

speedopick-up003.jpg

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

So that is the speedometer pick-up hole? wheew do I feel better. Approx wat size of drill should I use?? and also If I push some wood or something in there what will happen??? will it hurt anything??

Thanks for your fast reply just spent $40,000 on this new boat and now i fu*@ed up the speedometer.

thanks again,
Doogie

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I usually start with a small drill bit and work my way up to larger bits trying to break down the amount of debri in the hole a little at a time. If you do force the debri deeper into the hole and cannot get it out, you may have to remove the lower unit from the drive and use compressed air to aid in the removal of the debri by back flushing.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I hope I don't have to do that but if I do it could be worse. Thanks again for the piece of mind you've given me.

Thanks again,
Doogie

TilliamWe

Banned

Unless you use a power drill and use gorilla force, you won't hurt anything cleaning out that hole. I sue part of an old coat hanger.
As far as if it's really plugged up, take the tube out of the front of the ventilation plate and blow compressed air down there. No need to remove the drive or anything. The tube is on a fitting that is shaped like a cross (or a lower case "t"), Turn the cross one way about 1/4 to 1/2 a a turn and lift it all right out. It'll be obvious once you see it. With the boat on the trailer, you have to tilt the drive up all the way and you may need to lay down to see the front of your ventilation plate.
Get used to this, it happens all the time.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey thanks guys. Once again this is why I came here right away I knew there'd be plenty of good advice here.

Thanks again,
Doogie

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that plastic hose goes through the transom plate and has a fitting inside of the transom that attaches the tube that goes to the dash gauge. clean out the pitot hole in the front of the lower unit as explained above then take the hose loose in the inside and blow out lower unit to clear debris with compressed air any debris that is left. be sure to blow out good because any trash left in it will be forced into the speedo and can ruin it

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I cleaned out the front hole as best I could a lil water came out but the speedometer didn't return to zero until I removed the hose from on top of the drive. I'm gonna have to get a longer air gun to reach down in there to blow into the hole or are you saying that there is a way to blow this out from inside the transom??

Thanks for your help,
Doogie

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

normally there is a connector on top of the transom that connects the outdrive to the gauge hose . mine has a plastic tube that runs to the dash with a rubber connection hose just seperate it there and blow back into the outdrive to get out the junk