• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

BRAVO 3 speedometer question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRAVO 3 speedometer question

So here's the deal. Since the last time I'd talked to you guys I've upgraded. I traded my 89 cobalt in on a 08 23' Larson w/ 5.7L and bravo 3. I've got bout 8hrs on it and today I'd had it out on the river and was running it trying to get the motor broke in and there was just a lil trash coming down and I hit just a lil stick and my speedometer quit working (stuck at the mph I was running and is slowly going down). I trimmed it up and felt (and now with it out of the water reconfirmed) and everything looks good on the drive, and props and the skeg but above the skeg and above the horizontal shaft that is the prop shaft on the front part of the drive there is a lil notch that looks like it's always been there. When I trimmed it up there was a lil bit of wood stuck in it I pulled it out and it still didn't work. Now on my alpha one gen one I know it had a speedo so I really don't know how these bravo 3's pick up there speed. Is this lil groove "hole" it or was it just an imperfection in the alluminum casting? If it is the speed pickup how in the heck do i get whatever is left in there out???

Thanks guys,
    Doogie
    Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
    08 Larson 228 LXI 5.7L Bravo III
    93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins
    sigpic

Re: BRAVO 3 speedometer question

If this is the hole your referring to you should try a small drill bit. Do not use a drill motor , just turn it with your fingers.

Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
    If you want it....Wait
    If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

So that is the speedometer pick-up hole? wheew do I feel better. Approx wat size of drill should I use?? and also If I push some wood or something in there what will happen??? will it hurt anything??

Thanks for your fast reply just spent $40,000 on this new boat and now i fu*@ed up the speedometer.

thanks again,
      Doogie
      Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
      93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
      sigpic

Comment

I usually start with a small drill bit and work my way up to larger bits trying to break down the amount of debri in the hole a little at a time. If you do force the debri deeper into the hole and cannot get it out, you may have to remove the lower unit from the drive and use compressed air to aid in the removal of the debri by back flushing.
        Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
        If you want it....Wait
        If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

Well I hope I don't have to do that but if I do it could be worse. Thanks again for the piece of mind you've given me.

Thanks again,
          Doogie
          Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
          93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
          sigpic

Comment

Unless you use a power drill and use gorilla force, you won't hurt anything cleaning out that hole. I sue part of an old coat hanger.
            As far as if it's really plugged up, take the tube out of the front of the ventilation plate and blow compressed air down there. No need to remove the drive or anything. The tube is on a fitting that is shaped like a cross (or a lower case "t"), Turn the cross one way about 1/4 to 1/2 a a turn and lift it all right out. It'll be obvious once you see it. With the boat on the trailer, you have to tilt the drive up all the way and you may need to lay down to see the front of your ventilation plate.
            Get used to this, it happens all the time.

Comment

Hey thanks guys. Once again this is why I came here right away I knew there'd be plenty of good advice here.

Thanks again,
              Doogie
              Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
              93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
              sigpic

Comment

Nice boat use it in good health.

Comment

Thanks. Use it in good health???

Doogie
                  Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
                  93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
                  sigpic

Comment

that plastic hose goes through the transom plate and has a fitting inside of the transom that attaches the tube that goes to the dash gauge. clean out the pitot hole in the front of the lower unit as explained above then take the hose loose in the inside and blow out lower unit to clear debris with compressed air any debris that is left. be sure to blow out good because any trash left in it will be forced into the speedo and can ruin it

Comment

Yea I cleaned out the front hole as best I could a lil water came out but the speedometer didn't return to zero until I removed the hose from on top of the drive. I'm gonna have to get a longer air gun to reach down in there to blow into the hole or are you saying that there is a way to blow this out from inside the transom??

Thanks for your help,
                      Doogie
                      Derek "Doogie" Pfeiffer
                      93 Ski Nautique 5.8L
                      sigpic

Comment

normally there is a connector on top of the transom that connects the outdrive to the gauge hose . mine has a plastic tube that runs to the dash with a rubber connection hose just seperate it there and blow back into the outdrive to get out the junk

Comment

Working...
                        X