How do drain fuel from gas tank

bwheelermn

Recruit
I have a 2001 3.0L Volvo I/O motor on a Glastron SX175 boat. I believe the gas is bad since it has been sitting for over a year. I am wondering how to drain the gas so I can put in fresh gas. I think there is an anti-siphon valve which makes it complicated. Is there a trick or some piece of equipment that will do the trick? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

BW

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do drain fuel from gas tank

when i bought mine the gas was old so i removed the sending unit and used a electric fuel pump to drain it. but you could use a siphon hose instead of a fuel pump. and after I drained mine the gas didn't smell bad so i mixed it with good gas and ran it in my beater car.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

If it doesn't Smell Bad,....I'd burn it up....

Otherwise,...
An electric Fuelpump can easily be adapted to use as a transfer pump,+ use the existing fuel hose.....

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can just siphon the gas out thru the existing fuel line, just desconnect it from the fuel pump, extend the line with another hose and run it into a can sitting out on the ground.
But as others say I'd try to us it unless you know it's bad.

chiefalen

Captain

Are you sure its only a year old?

If yes, was the tank full? If yes.

Do you have a water separator hooked up on the boat? If yes burn it thru the boat motor.

If not hook one up good to have one anyway. With todays fuel you will need it.

Have you tried to start the boat this year at all?

You just buy this boat or something?

Alot of people here can advise you on how to get the boat going. What to check and do.

Good luck