257 Mirage Selectable Exhaust Leaking -- Seeking Replacement Solenoids

PSDfreak

Cadet
I have a 1998 Mirage 257 with a MerCruiser 502 Magnum and a Bravo One outdrive. Recently the engine got hot due to a bad water impeller. After replacing the impeller, everything seemed fine other than a drip coming from both exhaust pipes where the selectable exhaust solenoids enter the pipes.

I pulled the "Y" pipes (GIL marine pipes-902396 stamped into the pipe) and pulled the solenoids from the pipes...There are two small o-rings on the flapper actuater rod that seals the water into the exhaust pipe. The solenoids are marked:

"Synchro Start"
Model: 1502
P/N: 12C2U1B1S1A
S/N: 89127

I have had NO luck finding replacement synchro start solenoids nor parts for them. One of the solenoids has also stopped working so I was looking to replace that one solenoid or both of them.

Corsa shows a "Captains Call" solenoid that LOOKS (by the picture) very similar to mine, only difference being it mounts on TOP of the Corsa pipe where as mine mounts on the side of the pipe.

Does anyone know if/how I can find a replacement set of solenoids for my exhaust or am I screwed???

Thanks,
Casey

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 257 Mirage Selectable Exhaust Leaking -- Seeking Replacement Solenoids

ask on offshoreonly.com

PSDfreak

Cadet

ask on offshoreonly.com

Thanks...I put it up over there too.

I talked to GIL Marine today and the guy I talked to said that my style isn't available anymore (3 wire solenoid). That they now use a differently wired solenoid so I would have to change the harness on the boat side :(

He quoted me $350 for 2 solenoids/wiring/new orings for the rods that go into the pipes.

Are these things (electric solenoids) pretty interchangeable as far as mounting to the pipes???

Thanks,
Casey

PSDfreak

Cadet

THANKS!!! They have EXACTLY what I need! I really appreicate it, that just saved me some serious money and a boat load (no pun inteneded) of frustration.

-Casey

Bob225

Recruit

THANKS!!! They have EXACTLY what I need! I really appreicate it, that just saved me some serious money and a boat load (no pun inteneded) of frustration.

-Casey

PSDfreak, I was refered to this site from a friend who knew I had the same issue as you. The solenoid on the Port side (two wire) has gone bad. Do you have a replace part number from the website you ordered from? Being able to replace this would be huge!!!

Thanks!