Help removing solenoid for Mercruiser 3.0

catsfan

Recruit
Can anyone help by explaining how to remove the solenoid from a Mercruiser 3.0? I have a 1995 Glassport and the solenoid is bad. I've removed every bolt around the solenoid but cannot seem to get it off. Anybody else have this problem that can help shed some light for me?
Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help removing solenoid for Mercruiser 3.0

Welcome to iboats.....:)
Is it rusted on there?....:confused:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Which solenoid are you talking about? There is more than one.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board! ;)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If you mean the solenoid on the starter, remove the starter first.
And if it`s time for a solenoid, it`s also time to have the starter checked and/or rebuilt.Plus the starter / solenoid needs to be sealed and you can`t always get it trying to install it when the starter is still on the motor.

catsfan

Recruit

Thanks to everyone that replied.

It's not rusted, just having a hard time figuring out how to remove it. Haven't tried removing the entire starter yet. I will try that.

I'm only assumining the problem is with the solenoid. When I turn the key to start the boat, I can hear it click, but it doesn't always turn over. If I keep trying, it eventually will start. Sometimes it starts on the first try, and other times it takes 8-10 times. Does this sound like a solenoid issue? If I use the metal wrench method to start it, it starts every time.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm only assumining the problem is with the solenoid. When I turn the key to start the boat, I can hear it click, but it doesn't always turn over. If I keep trying, it eventually will start. Sometimes it starts on the first try, and other times it takes 8-10 times. Does this sound like a solenoid issue? If I use the metal wrench method to start it, it starts every time.

Nope,...... Not Really......

It sounds like Bad, Dirty, Corroded wiring connections,....
It could be in the Positive circuit, or in the Ground circuit....
The Solenoid is Working,... That's the Clicking you're hearing,...
The Starter is lacking sufficient Voltage to spin the motor...

Btw,....
The Starter mounted Solenoid is a Part of the Starter,....
Totally Disassembly of the starter is necessary to change it.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You hear a click in the engine compartment, but are you sure it's the starter solenoid, could be the slave solenoid clicking. Is it just a light click or a HARD ClunK when it happens? Could also be an engine that doesn't turn over.

catsfan

Recruit

It is a light click, not a hard clunk.

You hear a click in the engine compartment, but are you sure it's the starter solenoid, could be the slave solenoid clicking. Is it just a light click or a HARD ClunK when it happens? Could also be an engine that doesn't turn over.

SuperDaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Disconnect the negative and positive battery terminals, then clean all of the connections for the slave solenoid and starter. Wire brush, "fine" file...whatever works. Get them clean and re-tighten all connections. If you file the "face" of the wire connectors you can get them really clean and almost shiny. If you still have a problem after cleaning, I'd change the slave solenoid. ($20-$30 ??)

I recently went through this same set of symptoms with my 1995 3.0LX Merc, and while cleaning the connections didn't work (still a good idea to start here), replacing the slave solenoid did.

As a side note, I decided to change my starter as well. Some yahoo put on an auto starter a few years back and I preferred to have a marine starter. Anyway, the slave solenoid (undoubtedly the original one) was the actual problem.

catsfan

Recruit

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll try the changes and report back!

SuperDaddy

Seaman Apprentice

76213F-p.gif

Here is an image of a slave solenoid that you will be looking for. Should be on the starboard side of your engine, above the starter (near the big red breaker button). It is bolted to a small frame piece with lock nuts on the backside. Your slave solenoid may have a small black plastic cover over the two larger posts (to insulate them each other), if you dont happen to see it right away.

This solenoid is very easy to pop off and change. Sounds like the trouble you were having was with the starter mounted solenoid. (Which I wouldnt even consider taking off. Ever. As far as I am concerned it is part of the starter, and if it is malfunctioning, then take the whole starter in for rebuild.)

Iam4AU

Cadet

I just had the same problem Thursday night (it tried unsuccessfully to ruin my 4th of July fun). 87' Sea Ray, 3.0 mercuiser. I only got the "click" sound. It has given me warning clicks, which I ignored. The "slave" solenoid was only a month old. Probably replaced unnecessarily at the repair shop when my boat was "summerized". I forgive the guy, he tried to fix the click. Anyway, I replaced the solenoid mounted on the starter and had a wonderful three days on Tims Ford lake with my family. The solenoid has 2 mounting bolts (1 on each side). Then there is a bolt that must be removed from the wire that enters the starter itself. Finally, rotate the solenoid in order for the "tab" to exit the starter. My solenoid also had a squirt of sealant on the tab which made it stick at first. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the sealant squirt. The tab does enter a slot that would allow water inside the starter motor itself. I pondered replacing the whole starter, but I went the solenoid only route. I figured it would be the quickest fix for my situation. Photo is from iboats.com parts

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3

Uraijit

Banned

Yup, undo the two bolts on the "ears" of the solenoid, and rotate it 90 degrees or so. It should pull out. Oh, and don't drop the spring that's inside it into the bilge...

kingoftex

Cadet

I'm working on a "project" on a 1974 Mercruiser 3L. I'm getting the light clicking sound as well when I try to start the boat. I think I have a different type of slave solenoid though. I have what I think is the slave, but it has 4 wires running to it. Hot, neutral safety, 2 to the solenoid. Can you get that part at a shop? Also, if I need to pull the starter, how do you get to the bolts. There doesn't look like much room. Aren't the bolts underneath?

2nd time on line, so thanks in advance for any help.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Todd, you really need to start your own post instead of tacking on at the end of another....

But here is what you need to do:
Your slave solenoid will have two small posts and two large posts.

The ground wire will go to one of the small posts, the other small post will have the wire that is energized when you turn the ignition switch to "start." (In your case, I suspect it is the yellow wire - it will be the smaller gauge wire than the other ones).

The other wires go to your bigger posts - one side will go to the starter, while the other side will be a "hot" wire - it should have 12 volts present.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Nevermide the above... Mod moved Todd's post while I was typing! :)

nathanfromal

Recruit

Todd, you really need to start your own post instead of tacking on at the end of another....

But here is what you need to do:
Your slave solenoid will have two small posts and two large posts.

The ground wire will go to one of the small posts, the other small post will have the wire that is energized when you turn the ignition switch to "start." (In your case, I suspect it is the yellow wire - it will be the smaller gauge wire than the other ones).

The other wires go to your bigger posts - one side will go to the starter, while the other side will be a "hot" wire - it should have 12 volts present.

Hello Sir,
Your comments caught my eye when you mention the wires attached. I have the single "click" occuring on my 2007 Tahoe Q6 5.0 Mercruiser. However, I noticed a grey colored wire loose right beside the slave solenoid. Should there be any lose wires around there? Thanks.

Nate - Nashville