Follow up to difference in Quicksilver high performance and premium gear lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice
I had my wife stop a little bit ago at Skipper (worhtless f*****s) Bud's parts dept. for some HP gear lube, they didn't really know what it was, didn't have any either. She got some there last year and they didn't have what I wanted (high performance gear lube) but the guy said this other stuff was the same "really"........ I don't have that container any more and now I'm wondering now if I could have been possibly running a reg. and synthetic mix gear lube for the last year? How could I tell if I drain it all? She said they all looked like a bunch of idiots running around behind the parts counter trying to figure it out/find it. Seems like a simple thing to know considering they're running a marina/boat sales there. Makes me wonder now what the idiots sold me last year. Question again........... How can I tell if I have a regular/synthetic gear lube mix in my lower unit? Thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Follow up to difference in Quicksilver high performance and premium gear lube.

You can't tell what is in there now. Just drain it all out and put in the right stuff. Then there isn't any question.

PS: WalMart carries the Hi-Performance gear lube.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Follow up to difference in Quicksilver high performance and premium gear lube.

Good enough.............. I'll change it out. I'm cheap, I only change oil every other year if no signs of water. Thanks!!!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good enough.............. I'll change it out. I'm cheap, I only change oil every other year if no signs of water. Thanks!!!
You're penny wise & pound foolish. Mechanics love guys like you.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

When was your last Tune-Up,..?? How about a Impeller Change,..??

Simple Maintance saves having to do Major Repairs...........

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

Right now the boat is only two years old (Aug 05-current). The boating season in Wisc. is only about three good months, two this year to allow the river and turds to go down from all that flooding. I put on around 50 hrs. per year and if the oil last 100 hrs. and don't have water in it, why change it. Yes the mechanics may love me, I can do some of my own work, too. The environment loves me too..... Tune up when it starts sounding like it needs it, impeller when it starts running a little warmer than normal or fluctuates alot. Wally didn't have the HP gear lube........ god, I hate Wally World!!! And all this brings me back to an oil question again. So.................. you have fully synthetic and regular oil that we've all known and used over the years, what is synthentic blend?????? I'm thinking man-made is synthetic and the stuff from the ground as regular................. so, what's the synthetic blended with????

Bondo

Staff member

I'm thinking man-made is synthetic and the stuff from the ground as regular................. so, what's the synthetic blended with????

Ayuh,.... Alittle of Both....

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, a boat is not a car. You should not ignore basic maintenance because you "only" have 50 hours on it and oil is "good" for 100 hours. If you lay it up with used oil in it, you're leaving the acids which form from engine combustion sitting in your engine - not good. Waiting until an engine overheats to change the impellor is also not good. As has been said, you're being penny wise and pound foolish. If you want to get many seasons of reliable, safe boating from your engine, read the owner's manual and follow the maintenance schedule. Use the products recommended by the manufacturer of the engine. If your local store doesn't have the right stuff, go elsewhere. It's hard to pull over to the side of the road to wait for a tow truck when you're in the middle of the bay. Good luck. Hy

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

I change the engine oil annually. Gear lube every year or two. Back to the oil............ synthetic blend. A little of both??? I thought they're not compatible.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I change the engine oil annually. Gear lube every year or two. Back to the oil............ synthetic blend. A little of both??? I thought they're not compatible.

They are compatible. You can mix them. Synthetic blends have been on the market for years.

Uraijit

Banned

You sound like you've got a lot of anger... You hate your marina, you hate Wal-Mart. You come on asking about Oil, and flat-out reject the advice you're given. Yet you act like the guys who didn't know what your wife was asking for (God only knows what she actually asked them for) are complete idiots. If you're gonna be a know-it-all, at least be consistent.... :rolleyes:

nateerb

Recruit

A lot of angry people up here, this place has a natural negative energy to it. Has alot to do with that 3 months of summer and, like the OP mentioned, the fact that we dump turds in our waterways - our only good asset in Wisconsin.

In his defense Wisconsin boaters need answers fast and quick workarounds, for example this weekend I needed to replace a shift cable as a final step for my new outdrive. The boat has been down since June 7th, and my 1979 bell housing needed to be tapped to accept the new cable. Was here numerous times reading past threads about shift cables and the mounting change. My choices were order the Merc tapping tool or an NPSF straight tap online and wait another 4-7 days, or carefully use a ground-down NPT tap ala ms.com and get in the water. I chose the later and we have been out the last three days. Yeah, I could have trashed the bell housing but I took my time and got her done fine. Try not to take us the wrong way, you guys get to go all year round in Florida and much of the rest of the coast. We don't mean to come off as a//holes, but patience is hard to conquer here in the tundra.

FWIW Skipper Buds (in Milwaukee and Waukesha) has always been good to me, Ernie in Milwaukee knows his stuff and is always helpful. Adam G. at Harborside (Duchows) is good at looking up parts when you don't have numbers as long as it's not too busy there and will also locate parts at other dealers if you are in a pinch, and MW Marine in Hales Corners comes highly recommended as well and is well stocked with parts. All these places are a bit expensive (short season so they maximize profits I suppose) so if you can plan ahead buy your parts online. Now, getting your boat into any of these places or any other marine dealer in SE Wis for service is a miracle. A lot of no call backs - I have been on some dude's "board" for almost a month now. Can't wait until he calls and I tell him I did everything myself.

To the original subject... I accidentally used about 1/2 quart of regular and 3/4 qt. of high perf on my new SE106 drive for break in. Didn't read the bottles that close, but realized my mistake after we already ran it (black bottle = regular, silver = hi perf). Will be draining it now that break in is finished, will re post if it looks weird but don't imagine it's going to be that big of deal.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right now the boat is only two years old (Aug 05-current). The boating season in Wisc. is only about three good months, two this year to allow the river and turds to go down from all that flooding. I put on around 50 hrs. per year and if the oil last 100 hrs. and don't have water in it, why change it. Yes the mechanics may love me, I can do some of my own work, too. The environment loves me too..... Tune up when it starts sounding like it needs it, impeller when it starts running a little warmer than normal or fluctuates alot. Wally didn't have the HP gear lube........ god, I hate Wally World!!! And all this brings me back to an oil question again. So.................. you have fully synthetic and regular oil that we've all known and used over the years, what is synthentic blend?????? I'm thinking man-made is synthetic and the stuff from the ground as regular................. so, what's the synthetic blended with????

If you live in Wisconsin just go over to a Fleet & Farm, or Farm & Fleet whichever it is by you and get some Quicksilver High Performance Gear lube, I have always been able to find it there. If not try West Marine.

If you're only going to change it every two years use the Quicksilver High Performance Gear lube, it allows some water to mix with it and is one of the best marine gear lubes out there in my opinion.

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

Well let me see.......... That marina quoted me $4K plus to rebuild the MR1 outdrive from my old boat, so I figured it out myself and rebuild it for a few hundred. Rebuilt it two more times for the guy who bought it cause he hit something right away w/it (SS prop) and then he mushed the upper and lower when putting it together after I replaced the bent shaft. I did this for a little beer, yeah, I'm a real prick!!! Got so I could take it apart and put it together in a few hours. The high school kids weren't much help for my wife and didn't try too hard (kids...!) Great place!! I'm working on the consistancy w/the question about the synthetic blend not because I can't just drain it out, but because I'd like to know. Synthetic and reg oil is incompatible, but they blend it???? I ddin't come up w/that. Wally World...... multi billion dollar company that tends to have allot of employees that receive assistance. Can't pay the workers at the bottom too much or the guys at the top might have to cut back on the fuel bill for their yachts.............. Didn't realize I was picking on anyone who didn't deserve it.........

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'm not entirely sure if you're asking a question or not but when it comes to Mercury HP lube and "Premium" here's what Mercury says on their own site. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherproducts/maintenance/gearlubehp.php
HIGH-PERFORMANCE GEAR LUBE

Engineered to provide maximum protection for sterndrive and outboard lower units.
  • Exclusive formula is engineered to provide extended gear life in extreme conditions including high-speed and high-horsepower applications.
  • Extensively tested to provide excellent protection against corrosion and excessive wear.
  • Specifically formulated to help prevent failures due to water entering the gear housing.
  • Extreme pressure synthetic additives protect gears from metal to metal contact.
  • Since no industry-wide standards exist concerning marine gear oils, it is essential to use products such as Mercury High-Performance Gear Lube which has been specifically designed and tested for marine applications.
  • DO NOT mix with Mercury Premium Gear Lube.
  • Provides warranty protection for all Mercury MerCruiser sterndrive and Mercury, Mariner and Force outboard lower units.
Available container sizes: 10oz Tube, Quart, 2.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, 16 Gallon, 55 Gallon

(red emphasis mine)

Cheers,

Rick

chiefalen

Captain

Gear oil has to be changed out every year. Moisture will creep in over the

winter. Motor oil, also change every year. Consider this, 50 hours on a marine

engine is like 3000-4000 miles on a car.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Gear and motor oil should be change EVERY year and with a lot of use more often.Synthetic oil can be mixed with regular oil.But why??? It's a superior product as it is. Blends are there cause someone wants a cheaper way to go.
The best product is MERCRUISER/MERCURY gear lube.If you only change it every 2 years make sure you use the best.Condensation forms in the top of the drive and will rust and ruin the bearings. The factory uses it.
Don't mix it with outher products.
Don't cheap yourself into a new outdrive/motor. Jerry

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everryone!!!! As always, I enjoyed the give and take of this forum. Alot of great guys out there giving up their own free time to help us all out, week in/week out, some for years now!!! Appreciate ya! Thanks again.

nailem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there are very few true full synthetics out there. not to go into the whole thing but a while back Castro (i think) made a blend and called it a full synthetic, the rest of the oil manufactures sued and lost. so now they all use petroleum bases for there synthetics. amsoil is one of the only true full synthetic group4 oils. also
Motul
Royal Purple
Red Line
Neo Synthetics
Synergyn
Torco
Elf
a petroleum base oil is always going to have imperfections when a group 4 synthetic oil only has what they want in it, in it.

amsoil gear lube will remain the same with up to 10% water.

and no i do not sell amsoil.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Was that Fidel or his brother?;)

there are very few true full synthetics out there. not to go into the whole thing but a while back Castro (i think) made a blend and called it a full synthetic, the rest of the oil manufactures sued and lost. so now they all use petroleum bases for there synthetics. amsoil is one of the only true full synthetic group4 oils. also
Motul
Royal Purple
Red Line
Neo Synthetics
Synergyn
Torco
Elf
a petroleum base oil is always going to have imperfections when a group 4 synthetic oil only has what they want in it, in it.

amsoil gear lube will remain the same with up to 10% water.

and no i do not sell amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.