Difference between Quicksilver Premium and High Performance gear lube?

packerman

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between Quicksilver premium gear lube and high performance gear lube. I grabbed the premium from Wally World and checked the (Mercruiser) book later and it calls for high performance gear lube. Didn't want to have to make a return trip, if not necessary. Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Difference between Quicksilver Premium and High Performance gear lube?

Howdy,

The HP lube is a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil. the Premium is "regular" (gear) oil.

DON'T mix them. they're not compatible with each other.

The following is from Mercury Marines faq site
http://www.mercurymarine.com/

Should I use Premium Blend or High Performance gear lube in my sterndrive?

High Performance gear lube is required in all Bravo and Alpha I Generation II sterndrives. It is recommended for use in all older sterndrives as well. Premium Blend and High Performance gear lube should never be mixed. Be sure to drain the unit completely if switching from one type of lube to the other.

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

packerman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Difference between Quicksilver Premium and High Performance gear lube?

Thanks, lots of letters and numbers guy. It says not to mix on the premuim container. Wasn't sure if there was a reason or them just covering their ***, like they do.

scatgo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stupid question. Would the Quicksilver Premium be ok in my Alpha One being run by a 898? This is all new to me. First boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Start your own topic instead of tagging onto one that's six years old. Or simply read the information in post #2. Thanks.