Tune-up Suggestions for Mercruiser 3.0L

jbsengineer

Cadet
I find once I get the engine started it operates fairly well. However sometimes I have some issues starting it. Looking at the plugs and wires I'm confident they need replacement. Can someone point me to a good link for a tune up kit? I'm thinking wires and plugs. Should I look at an ignition coil as well? I want to make sure I get the correct stuff.

The boat is a 94 and the engine is a Mercruiser I/O 3.0L SN=0f120406

Anything else I should be replacing that is easy and quick?

Thanks!

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Tune-up Suggestions for Mercruiser 3.0L

For parts look to the top of this page....

Don't forget filters and belts, but if the coil is good why would you replace it?

Also, how old and in what condition are the bellows?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I find once I get the engine started it operates fairly well. However sometimes I have some issues starting it. Looking at the plugs and wires I'm confident they need replacement. Can someone point me to a good link for a tune up kit? I'm thinking wires and plugs. Should I look at an ignition coil as well? I want to make sure I get the correct stuff.

The boat is a 94 and the engine is a Mercruiser I/O 3.0L SN=0f120406

Anything else I should be replacing that is easy and quick?

Thanks!
Distributor cap and rotor also. No coil unless it's not working correctly

jbsengineer

Cadet

For parts look to the top of this page....

Don't forget filters and belts, but if the coil is good why would you replace it?

Also, how old and in what condition are the bellows?

Bellows look great from what I can tell. No rot. No leaks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Click on the link below and download the OEM manual for your engine. It will have a lot of info you need for a full tuneup.

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/13/13covr2.pdf

You mentioned some "Starting Issues" what kind of issues would that be? May not have anything to do with doing a tuneup.

Might also want to read the summerizing sticky at the top of this forum. Some things you may want to look at that you haven't thought about.

jbsengineer

Cadet

Click on the link below and download the OEM manual for your engine. It will have a lot of info you need for a full tuneup.

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/13/13covr2.pdf

You mentioned some "Starting Issues" what kind of issues would that be? May not have anything to do with doing a tuneup.

Might also want to read the summerizing sticky at the top of this forum. Some things you may want to look at that you haven't thought about.

Most times it will start up just fine when the engine is warm but some times I'll have to let the starter run a few seconds longer until it kicks over. Cold starting it really needs choke for awhile until it warms up. Otherwise the idle is very rough and could stall.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you use the throttle? This is not an EFI engine. You can't just turn the key and it starts like your car or truck does. This is a carb, old school starting.

jbsengineer

Cadet

Do you use the throttle? This is not an EFI engine. You can't just turn the key and it starts like your car or truck does. This is a carb, old school starting.

:redface: Teach me Don...

chiefalen

Captain

this motor has electronic choke and dist. takes maybe 4- 5 minutes to run smooth my friend has that year motor. no points to play with. needs to be pumped twice the throttle than 1/4 of the way up is a indent you'll feel it on the throttle leave it there when you hit the starter.clean them plugs and regap to .035.see how it runs than. if still rough clean ya filters.

jbsengineer

Cadet

this motor has electronic choke and dist. takes maybe 4- 5 minutes to run smooth my friend has that year motor. no points to play with. needs to be pumped twice the throttle than 1/4 of the way up is a indent you'll feel it on the throttle leave it there when you hit the starter.clean them plugs and regap to .035.see how it runs than. if still rough clean ya filters.

should i pump it for every start? or just cold starts?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

For Cold Starts,....
Push the Neutral button,+ advance the throttle a couple of times,.. Then set it to 1/4,.. 1/2,+ hit the Key....
Be prepared to return the throttle to a lower rpm if it's too advanced...

For Warm Starts,......
I push the neutral button,... Advance the throttle about 1/4,.. 1/2,+ hit the key...
If it's Just been shut-off,... A tick of the key in neutral is enough to restart....

chiefalen

Captain

bondo posted it better than me.just a touch of the key when warm will do the trick.old timers like me remember the old time chevys and fords.they all had there little quirks the way they liked to be started.up here in the north in the winter alot of killed batterys.