Power Steering problems

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Year two of my restoration after boat sinking......

Power steering on my 21'6" Glastron with 350 Mag Alpha 1 was really stiff this year. My first inclination was that the contaminated hydraulic fluid in the system killed the pump, so I replaced it....no joy.

I read some of Don's advice and thought it was the steering cable. Tonight, I disconnected the cable and the wheel still turned stiffly, but not as stiffly as when connected, which makes sense. I think the wheel should turn effortlessly with the cable disconnected on the business end, so I ordered a replacement cable.

But I did another troubleshooting experiment while I had the cable disconnected, and that was to move the steering lever by hand with the engine off (not power assisted) and then with it running (power assisted). I could move that lever with some resistance but the level of effort didn't change with the motor running or not.

So, I am assuming that when I get my bright, shiny new cable installed, I will still be using both hands to dock my baby in its berth.....

What should be my next test/repair/replace option?

Jake

Coors

Captain
Re: Power Steering problems

Do you have that grease zerk on your steering, hidden waaaay in the back of the transom, that you need a mirror to see. That hasn't been greased in years?

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll try to find it and give it a shot.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I read some of Don's advice and thought it was the steering cable. Tonight, I disconnected the cable and the wheel still turned stiffly, but not as stiffly as when connected, which makes sense.

Where exactly did you disconnect the cable? If you disconnected either of the clevis pins, then you didn't disconnect in the right place. You need to disconnect the steering cable attaching nut to see if the cable is free inside the aluminum tube.

Frozensteering.png

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don. I did disconnect at Clevis pin B. I will remove the cable attaching nut and try again. If it is then easy to turn the wheel, then the next step would be to clean out that aluminum tube, right? Can you suggest a solvent to clean it up with?

This still doesn't address my issue with the stiffness with the steering lever both with engine running and not. I will be patient and take it one step at a time, starting with the aluminum tube.

Thanks again, Don. I have learned from this forum that if Don speaks, people need to listen........and you have never "steered me wrong" pun well intended....haha.

Jake

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it is then easy to turn the wheel, then the next step would be to clean out that aluminum tube, right? Can you suggest a solvent to clean it up with?

If it's corrosion in the tube causing the problem, you need to remove the steering cable completely. (Carefully heating the aluminum tube with a propane torch helps) Once you get the cable out, don't use solvents, clean the corrosion out with wire brushes of the proper diameter. Might want to look at shotgun cleaning brushes. Then, after getting it clean, I use Mercs "anti corrosion" grease, or really any grease will work. But if the steering ever starts getting even a little stiff. Clean and lube it before it takes a lot of extra work to fix.

Thanks for the compliment, but trust me. I also make mistakes.

gamarines2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heeded your advice, Don and removed the cable from the aluminum tube, then checked its resistance with the steering wheel. It was still very stiff. I replaced the cable (rack system) and wa-la......I can turn my boat with a finger on the wheel again.....

This forum ALWAYS helps me get things working again.......and trust me everyone, if you ever totally swamp your rig, lotsa stuff will get affected, if not immediately, over a short period of time.

Jake