120hp mercruiser 1973 water in oil

grsjr73

Recruit
I recently purchased a sterncraft 1973 with a 120 hp mercruiser by gm I believe it had been sitting for about 4 years and the last time it was used it was in the water overnight and the back end filled up with water up to the starter. I changed the oil and it was milky so after I put new filter and oil I hooked up the ear muffs to it and have run the engine for atleast a half hour and no milky oil has returned. I also checked all the cylinders for water and corrosion and found none. It starts right up and runs good I was told it had been properly winterized after last use and I believe the guy. Could this be condensation buildup from sitting for so long or could there be another problem from when it was in the water or something else
any adviced would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 120hp mercruiser 1973 water in oil

Condensation doesn't turn oil milky. Being run thru the oil pump is what causes the oil and water to mix and become milky.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

grsjr73 said:
the last time it was used it was in the water overnight and the back end filled up with water up to the starter

either you forgot to put the plug in or you have a bad bellows.... your lucky the boat didn't sink.

shraigeed

Recruit

Condensation doesn't turn oil milky. Being run thru the oil pump is what causes the oil and water to mix and become milky.

Quick question regarding water in the oil. I have a 1988 Mercruiser 120 hp I/O. Last year I forgot to take the plug out and the boat got quite a bit of water in it. Because I only had it out 3 times I didn't change the oil but I did winterize the rest of the boat. Now this year there seems to be water in the oil. I changed it a couple of times and put some seafoam in it. When I put the muffs on it it seemed fine but I took it out for the first time yesterday and when I checked the oil it was milky. I have heard various opinions as to what it could be. From a cracked block (that seems unlikely since I did put antifreeze in it last fall), a head gasket, or the latest one I heard was that it could be water in the exhaust port. Is there anyway to test any of these? And also, I had it out for a couple of hours yesterday and it ran fine. Could I have done more damage to it by running it like that? What's my next best course of action?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Shraigeed,.....

Everything is Testable,....

But,....
We can't have you Hyjacking an Old thread of somebodyelse's that had Similar problems,....

What We need is for You to start Your Own Thread,....
And also, I had it out for a couple of hours yesterday and it ran fine. Could I have done more damage to it by running it like that?

With Milky Oil,..??..??..??

Ayuh,... You No Doubt didn't do it any Good, running watered down Oil.....