Mercruiser 470/170 problems

stefcia

Cadet
Hi guys. Today was the first time I was testing my new/old boat after rebuilding it. For about 2 hours it run perfectly but when I was about to go back the motor suddenly stoped and i couldn't start it again. After few tries i had to disconect battery because starter in the last try did not stop even after taking the key out of the ignition. I have discovered that conector with 2 wires(one of them is purple) to electric choke was broken. Probably toutched negative on the engine. Is it possible that I will need new carb, new ignition coil and new starter coil? Engine is '85 model: MCM170 number:6902299.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 470/170 problems

Is it possible that I will need new carb, new ignition coil and new starter coil? Engine is '85 model: MCM170

Why would you need the above?????? What did you test that told you they are needed, and what the elll is a starter coil?

I have discovered that conector with 2 wires(one of them is purple) to electric choke was broken. Probably toutched negative on the engine.
So, what was the outcome? Did it work or not???

stefcia

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 470/170 problems

Why would you need the above?????? What did you test that told you they are needed, and what the elll is a starter coil?
I did not have the possibility to test this things yet, it has ahppend couple hours ago. I have sleve coil on mind...

So, what was the outcome? Did it work or not???

there is no possibility to connect it back, so it does not work, it is broken in half at the connecting point to the choke.