reason for marine head gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
i'm going to use a truck motor in my boat, and i ve always heard i need marine head gaskets and brass welsh plugs.
If my boat will never see salt water, is this still required, and what's the reason for this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reason for marine head gaskets?

Problems with Rust and corrosion is the reason. Why not replace the plugs, and the head gaskets before you put the engine in. Automotive engines use antifreeze in the cooling system, who knows what is in the water you will run thru it as a raw water cooled boat. But what the heck, I wouldn't worry about it at all, the most that could happen is you loose your engine.

buggiedad_67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am not sure there is a difference is the gaskets but when i got mine from the dealer the stamping number was on the gasket, just out of curiosity i took it to a parts store to see if they could cross over, when they crossed it over the stamping number where the same, i took the dealers back and spent have the cost, if the numbers macthed then they are the same, freeze plugs put the brass ones in

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So we roll the dice, as we say in Las Vegas.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I looked at marine and auto head gaskets side by side at Napa,Yes there is a difference on the ones that went on my 4.3.
So the marine gaskets were 20 bucks more,better than buying a new engine!

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

ok, i'll use the marine stuff.
it is petty simple seeind as it out of the boat already, prob. only 30 min to do.

Coors

Captain

Sam's towing ain't coming, while you sit on the side of the road- a Boat is not a car.
Big waves may come up, the anchor may start dragging, etc.
Be safe, spend the $
Also, marine towing ain't cheap, like on shore. If you also have 4 hours + to kill.

Crash169

Recruit
Can I use car head gaskets in my boat 4.3 .. Instead of Marine gaskets ..? And y not if so ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Old inactive topic, but the answer is the same as posted above:

Use marine gaskets in a marine environment, and as Don said above:

The worst that'll happen is you'll loose your engine

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.