Engine Paint crack.....

Deanrw3

Seaman
I hate to have another cracked block thread. I read so many that i had to walk outside and take a look.

I bought the boat at the start of the winter (before it was cold). I winterized it by pulling the drain plugs, pumping antifreeze into it and pooring antifreeze and then opening the plugs and draining again. I don't think there was any water left in the block.
I am wondering if it was there before i bought the boat.

I can not tell if it is a block crack or in the paint. It is about 2 inches long and has no apparent opening like the other i have seen on here (1/8" gap ect)

Here are the best pics i could get. What do you guys think....This really scares me condidering i haven't even drove the boat yet...:mad:

PICT0106.jpg
[/IMG]

PICT0104.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Dean

Boat 18' Bayliner 3.0LX mer alpha 1

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Paint crack.....

i dont like the rust in the crack.....

hook up the muffs.....run it.....check the oil for milk and watch the crack area.... if you can get a camers that close....you can get your head that close.

did you drain the manifold?

erikgreen

Captain

It's a crack in the metal. Sorry.

Did you remove the coolant hoses from the power steering cooler (if there) and the pump->thermostat housing hose? Did you probe the drains in the block and manifolds with a piece of wire to make sure there was nothing blocking them?

Did you run the engine and see it run before you bought it, and check the oil for water?

Erik

Deanrw3

Seaman

thanks for the reply. It kind of looks like a crack to me and i dont like the rust either. I drained the manifold.

I know i can only know by running it, which im doing next week, but i was just trying to prepare myself if needed (or stop freaking out).

This just seems like a small crack compared to what I have seen.

I did run it last season on muffs and everything was fine (including the oil) I think i ran it around half hour total and the oil never changed.

Guess we will just have to wait and see. I am just worried i messed something up during winterizing. (No power steering, i probed the holes, removed the thermostat hose poured coolant / drained/ probed holes again...)

thanks,
dean

erikgreen

Captain

Time will tell. It's not the size of the crack that matters, but the fact that it's there. Cracks to the exterior of a block can be sort of fixed, but the question is, what's cracked inside?

Also be aware that idling it for a half hour on muffs might not show the problem up. Take it to the lake and drive it for a half hour at various speeds to be sure.

Erik

Deanrw3

Seaman

Thanks, Erik Guess we will just have to see. I know what you are saying about the size of the crack.

Just to add to my last post, I even made a thread to make sure that i winterized it right last year...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=227186

I guess i will let you all know what happens..

Thank,
dean