Starting a boat out of water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basicly im cheep. I was wondering if i could start my boat in the driveway useing a huge rubbermaid tub filled with water. Then lowering the cooling holes into it?? by the way its a I/O

Would this work?? or am i to cheep??

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting a boat out of water

You can do this if you get one large enough, just keep the hose running in it, to make sure that it does not run out of water.

They make a piece that you put on your hose, that you then put on the lower unit over the holes, this then feeds it with water. You can get them most anywhere including some Walmarts.

The best ones though are the circle ones from Mercury that have a pin that goes through the lower, these work the best for me. You can get them for about $30, when I got it from my Dealer. the one I have is the bottom one, the quicksilver with the metal rod. This is the best one.

Here they are on Iboats http://www.iboats.com/Engine_Mainte...ategory--**********.334665954--view_id.366311

Bryan

Yeah i know of those, i just dont see the point in buying one if this method would work for just the price of the water.

Anyone that has done this before?

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

As long as you have enough water, it will work fine.

When the boat is in water, you only have the water pump sucking through the water pickups, so as long as you have water in the container it will work.

I had done this on my old outboard, with exhaust coming through the prop, (2 stroke) I would get a sooty mess in the tub, and it made it messy. It was easier on the engine to run it off the muffs, then to clean off all the 2 stroke oil mixture.

On a 4 stroke it should be alot cleaner.

Bryan

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You can get a cheap set of muffs for like 12 bux, you will get tired of the washtub method.....;)

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

If $15 for the right equipment (muffs) is such a concern, you need to find another hobby, as boating isn't gonna be for you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was wondering if i could start my boat in the driveway useing a huge rubbermaid tub filled with water.

Sure you could. Don't even think about putting it into gear to see if the shift works, as it will blow all the water out of your tub. And don't run too long, as you could loose too much water unless you keep the hose going.
Other than being way more expensive to find a tub big enough to put the drive down, and cover the intakes (AT ALL TIMES) and then having to store it when not in use, and it will probably take more water than just using muffs.
I have to really ask, why not buy a set of $15 Tempo muffs and do what you have to do. Cheep is one thing, but you my friend are a TIGHT WAD.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Squeak,Squeak,sounds like the dry wheel bearing going down the highway
getting ready to rip the axel`s spindel off. Get low on water and lose the pump. Muff`s are definitely a cheaper alternative.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

don s said:
Don't even think about putting it into gear to see if the shift works, as it will blow all the water out of your tub.

Thats what your SUPPOSED to do when your buddy is behind the boat :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The phrase "penny wise...pound foolish" comes to mind here. Just mess up a little and burn up your impeller and you will wish you spent $15 for the muffs.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I'm still confused about this . . . :confused:
He's talking about getting a big tub & lowering the drive into it past the water inlet to run the engine....
Kinda like what you would do with a small outboard......;)

Bondo

Staff member

or am i to cheep??
If $15 for the right equipment (muffs) is such a concern, you need to find another hobby, as boating isn't gonna be for you.

Ayuh,....... I Agree,+ I can think of other words besides Cheap.......

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sounds like a slippery slope to me. Too cheap to maintain, probably to cheap to repair properly. What with all of those way overpriced marine parts.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

It will burn gas to you know running the boat in the drive way, costing you money.

If you havent flushed the motor in the past and your too cheep to do it right why start now? Sell the boat and move on to something cheeper to do in your spare time.

Owning a boat is an expensive hobby, 15.00 for a flusher is problably one of the cheepest and easiest things you will every do or buy for your boat.

I have 2 flushers I only need 1 if you want my spare paypal me 5.00 and Ill ship it to you...Trying to make things a little less expsnsive for you to do this the right way.

I think a big enough rubbermaid tub will run you more like 20 bucks.

a70eliminator

Captain

if you already have a large tub your good to go, I custom made one with a plastic 55 gal drum, you don't need muffs put the 15.00 towards a few gallons of gas, you can also use the tub for running anti freeze for winterization can't do that with muffs, I wouldn't say your cheap just dollar wise like myself, 2 kids and a stay home mom every 15.00 bucks counts, some of these guys can just blow 15.00 and not bat an eye don't listen to them, use your tub.

Coors

Captain

Sounds like a slippery slope to me. Too cheap to maintain, probably to cheap to repair properly. What with all of those way overpriced marine parts.

Oh yeah, you can see this coming..

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

lol waw yall killink the poor guy lol, yea i am cheap but it seems this guy beat me by far lol.

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW, my confusion was the "hose" comment, not the tub . . . One thing about tubs for anybody that uses them. If you don't keep the hose running your water will just get hotter and hotter and . . . :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.