• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

I am the not so proud owner of a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1950. I think I have a cracked block, but I need to remove the manifold to see the problem. This is a 3.0 mercruiser motor. I don't want to just start taking bolts out blindly. Does anyone no where I can get a good manual that shows how to do this the correct way? OR does anyone here have any advice on removal or pictures??

Thanks

Re: Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by gcboat View Post
      e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.
      Damn, I ordered a Seloc manual before I got back here to check for responses.....

Comment

Ok, I got that order canceled and I am ordering an OEM service manual. I will let you know when I get started. I am getting water I thought from the side of the block, but I went home and took a picture and it appears like it is coming from under the exhaust manifold. I want know until I tear it down next week. I am going to post pics step by step in case someone else runs into this problem down the road. Wish me luck! I am mechanically inclined, but never worked on a boat motor before.
        Attached Files

Comment

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
          Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.
          Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
            Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.
            Yes, it started out slow while it was running so I thought it might be a head gasket, but the motor wasn't skipping at all. I ran it again the next day and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block. I checked the oil and it is a little on the high side, but not milky so I am scared water has gotten into the oil pan. I looked down the oil fill cap and the rockers look clean so I don't know what the hell is going on. The boat had been sitting without be winterized so it could be a number of things... I am hoping just the manifold is cracked and I can replace it, but I want know until I get it off....I should have my OEM manual by next week and pray for the best...

Comment

Here is the mercury manual for your engine in digital format...........

Comment

and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block.
                Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
                Just above that rust.....
                Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by billbayliner View Post
                  Here is the mercury manual for your engine in digital format...........
                  Thank you so much brother!! This will help so I can go ahead and get started.

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                    Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
                    Just above that rust.....
                    Hey brother, you were 100% correct! I tore it down last night and as you can see from the pic it is BAD! Crack is 10 inches long. I have been in touch with "Lock-N-Stitch" and they are going to supply me with the pins I need for repair. I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck. I will keep pictures updated with the progress and the finial outcome.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats the same place mine was cracked:

WAITIN' FOR SUMMER!

2007 Ebbtide 200 SE w/ 4.3 Merc
                      sigpic

SOLD ----> 1987 16.2' ThunderCraft Regency 3.0 Merc

LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS CHECK COMPRESSION BEFORE YOU BUY!

Comment

I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.
                        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                        That is what the forums are for.
                        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Dante04SRT View Post
                          Thats the same place mine was cracked:

Hey brother, did you trash the block??

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.
                            Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??

Comment

Originally posted by bigbencher59 View Post
                              Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??
                              I think he is saying that with an external crack that size & an internal crack that is putting water into your oil, that your block is toast & it is time for a new engine.....
                              Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

Working...
                              X