VP 280 Reverse lock check W/O engine start..(Don?)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Prepping the big boat for the slip. VP280 O/D. Seeing as its a sliding cone clutch drive, and no gear meshing, can I just shift reverse with the motor off, and check the reverse lock?
Looking/studying the Manual over, I can't see a problem, but I can also fire it up, and do it. No prob though non-start?. Just want to White Grease the **** out of it..(seems to work the best so far to keep the "crap" off it in the slip))...but the Master's opinion here would help...Thanks...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: VP 280 Reverse lock check W/O engine start..(Don?)

I'm sure don will chime in but i don't see any problem. outdrives that use a dog clutch (like alphas). When the engine isn't running and you engage the shifter... the clutch is not going to slide into the gear.... and your essentially binding the cable through force. Not the case with cone clutches, you won't bind the cable.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 280 Reverse lock check W/O engine start..(Don?)

No problem. Shifting with or without the engine running doesn't have any affect on the reverse lock. Even out of the water.
In reverse, you shouldn't be able to lift the drive up. In forward and neutral, you can lift the drive up.