Loose shifter Need help

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BoatShifterdiagram.jpg
I Broke the Netral lever in my shifter.The part in handle you lift up to shift (part # 39) in diagram.Anyway found a place that had one a bought it.Took shifter apart and replace it.Put shifter back together,it shifts fine.One problem is it is know loose on splines,slides in and out on shaft a little.I put set screw back in in bottom of shifter and it is in grove right.Sometimes I have to push the shifter in with one hand and shift with other.Has anyone had one of these apart and can give me some insite as to how to solve this?
I an attaching a diagram of the shifter.I is on a 1991 Marahi OMC cobra 4.3.

jomamma1

Cadet
Re: Loose shifter Need help

Pra100, when you take it all apart and reassemble and then insert shifter onto the spline, there is a allen head set screw only accessable when shifter is in full reverse position through a small opening towards the bow. this set screw needs to align with the indentation in the spline shaft. you may not have inserted your shifter far enough for proper alignment and the set screw can miss the groove. Joe

ArkBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pra100, when you take it all apart and reassemble and then insert shifter onto the spline, there is a allen head set screw only accessable when shifter is in full reverse position through a small opening towards the bow. this set screw needs to align with the indentation in the spline shaft. you may not have inserted your shifter far enough for proper alignment and the set screw can miss the groove. Joe

are you talking about part # 41 in the diagram above? Thought it may help. :D

jomamma1

Cadet

yes, part # 41. pra100 mentioned it in his post so I didnt think it was necissary to point it out. JG

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been away from pc to answer.
I thought I had set screw in groove.I will check and see.I do know the set screw holds it where it will not come off of splines.It justs seems as if the handle is not slide far enough back on splines.So will check it out.

jomamma1

Cadet

When I replaced the trim switch in my handle, I had the same thing happen to me. Turned out when I re-routed the wires thru the handle, I didnt quite route them correctly and the wires ended up preventing the shifter handle from engaging onto the spline completely. The set scew tightened up as though it was in the groove but the handle would move back and forth slightly. Just be sure everything is correct and completely inserted onto the spline and the set screw is in the groove correctly. Good luck!! JG

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that is what happened to me.When I replaced the part in handle,I may not of got wires back right.I took it back apart,but I don't understand I guess what is being talked about a groove.I have a splined shaft,with splines on outer edge and inner edge.The center section of shaft appers smooth,but I don't see a groove as such.

jomamma1

Cadet

The groove (so to speak) is the flat part between the splines. I'm not sure, its been awhile, but there may be a small indent where the set screw should line up on the flat spot. JG

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys thanks for the input.I got it fixed.The wires were indeed the problem.Re routed them and it slide on perfect.All is well again,till the next OMC problem.