First time out with fuel injection, 305 MPFI

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well actually my second. I took it out yesterday and it ran horribly, the timing was way off. I was running on a factory GM TBI timing map. It started to rain so I had to load it up. I did some research last night and found the factory timing curve for a 350 Mag. I manually entered that timing curve into my ECM. I did a little more tuning in the driveway this morning to make sure everything else was good to go. We took it back out. WOW!! its like a totally different boat. It gets up on the water fast! I have to be quick on the trim to get it up to speed. In the video I got it up to 50 mph like it was nothing. Later I pegged the speedo with a little more trim, I don't plan on doing that very much. Check it out.

The ticking in the video is coming from the injectors. Idle is set to 550 RPM. The boat goes in and out of gear very nice.

350 Mag timing curve
350magtiming.gif

Convert%20Boat%20to%20EFI
[/URL][/IMG]

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First time out with fuel injection, 305 MPFI

Very Nice!

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... congrats on the conversion and sea trial!

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There was no spark knock at all, and I am running on 87 octane. I think if ran it on 93 octane I could give it some more timing. More power!

I pulled a spark plug when I got home and it looked perfect. Not lean, is the main thing.

Robj

Lieutenant

Looks great. Wish I had the smarts to do that type of conversion. Congrats!

Have a great day,

Rob.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

Looks great! What RPM's were you turning at 50MPH? Was that WOT?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And the electrical and fuel system parts are NOT Coast Guard approved.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

hmmmmmmmmm..........and I was gonna ask how much $$$ it cost........but not a marine set-up?

Don S

Here is his reply to my comment about it not being CG certifed from the other post he used.

You missed one important aspect of the whole thing.
None of it is Coast Guard certified for marine use.

I am not worried about it. In my eyes this is a way more efficient, more reliable, and a lot safer than the carb setup that was on there before. When I get pulled over by the Coast Guard and get a citation for my fuel injected engine then I might care.:cool:

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is his reply to my comment about it not being CG certifed from the other post he used.

And it begins. I cant believe it took this long.

Thats right, everyone that likes my setup, do not attempt what I have done. Your boat will surely blow up!:eek:

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks great! What RPM's were you turning at 50MPH? Was that WOT?

Yes, that was WOT, 5000 RPM. It ran 55 mph with some more trim. I know that RPM for a long period of time is hard on the lower unit so I wont be running it that hard much.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to go another pitch up on your prop. Maybe bring it down to 4700-4800 WOT. Whats the current prop?

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And the electrical and fuel system parts are NOT Coast Guard approved.

The distributor that I am using IS CG Certified which Mkos1980 pointed out in another thread

In reading Dennis Moores book, he specifies that the 87-95 External coil HEI distributors that are found in autos are IDENTICAL to the marine version and that those automotive distributors can be used. Same part number as well. Thats good news as 96LT4 is using one of those. One less thing to rag him about.

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to go another pitch up on your prop. Maybe bring it down to 4700-4800 WOT. Whats the current prop?

I dont know, I will take a look.

Don S

The distributor that I am using IS CG Certified which Mkos1980 pointed out in another thread

That was only an accident, what about everything else in the system.

Trust me, I am not saying your engine won't run, and it may work perfectly. I have no issues with that.
But if you can't do it safely and/or legally, then there is something wrong with your process that could lead to injury or death if something goes wrong when someone else tries it.

And I will NOT let it drop.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Fuel line and fuel pump is the only thing I can think of. I accually purchased a 350mag intaker with rails injectors and TB off of ebay. All the part numbers on my TB match the sensors on an LS throttle body I have at home. Its all GM stuff.

When I went to piece together a harness from scratch, I emailed MerCruiser and they said they use the standard TXL wire and Delphi Connectors. When I emailed Delphi, they said the Marine ones and auto were the same.

LeftFeild

Cadet

Both you and Don make very good point's, marine motor's tech is terrible at best. Far behind the tech curve,actually it's ridiculous for the price.But with wive's and children saftey rule's...;) Kind lame is it not

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The video was great!

The engine sounds flawless......It REALLY sounded good!

The "proof in the pudding" as it were, will be when it's inspected by some USCG or USCG AUX dude (or "Boat Cop") that wants to make a point or it's tested in court when something goes wrong.....

There's a zillion of them out there every day. Every year one blows up on Lake Washington or Lake Union (Wa State). The news media never says why....

My only suggestion is that you ensure that your insurance company is aware of what you did and that they are still covering you.

In the aviation world we would have to put "EXPERIMENTAL" in huge letters on the side. You can still get insurance for it and it's all legal. I don't know if there's something similar for boats...

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

GREAT Work!!! Can't wait until am at the engine build process to replicate your success! Can you provide a link to the software? Nice work!

Thanks!!

96lt4c4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was only an accident, what about everything else in the system.

Trust me, I am not saying your engine won't run, and it may work perfectly. I have no issues with that.
But if you can't do it safely and/or legally, then there is something wrong with your process that could lead to injury or death if something goes wrong when someone else tries it.

And I will NOT let it drop.

I am not saying that I am better than any body, but most people will not try what I have done. Doing what I have done could be very intimidating for most people. I will say that I would not recommend anyone trying it, if you are not completely comfortable with EFI or the parts that you are using. I have been messing with EFI for years and would not have taken on this project unless I felt completely comfortable doing it.

I can understand where you guys are coming from. I am not some average Joe that thinks hey, I am going to sup up my boat by adding a 4 barrel carb that leaks fuel everywhere.

I inspect my boat before and after I take it out on the water. There are a lot of people out there that just run them without ever lifting the engine hatch. If I were like that then I would be worried about it. It will be watched over, and at the first sign of any problem it will be taken care of.