U-joint part number....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
jmanjeeper said:
Good afternoon,
I am trying to find the correct u-joint part number and where to purchase them for my Alpha One Generation II unit which is bolted up to a 4.3L. After searching on here I found that many get u-joints from Napa/Advance Auto etc. Can anyone who has purchased u-joints or know which u-joints to purchase please help me out? Most of the threads I read were for different models and ended up in a huge debate about using "regular" u-joints vice "Marine" U-joints.

Thanks!!

EDIT: These numbers are also used for Volvo Penta, OMC, and older Mercruiser drives.
Any drive that used the inside C type circlip to hold the ujoints together.

Mercruiser U-Joints

Napa also sells Sierra parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmanjeeper

Cadet
Re: U-joint part number....

I found that, But I was more looking at the cheaper u-joints, a found a lot of post saying that you can purchase the same ujoints at an auto parts store that may not be labeled as mercruiser but are in fact the same ujoints....automotive u-joints so to speak, and as long as they were grease-able they lasted jsut as long...am I just heading down the wrong path here??

Don S

The Spicer number for them is 5-1306X

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I just went through this myself, along with the number Don gave, here's a more complete list that your auto parts guy can do something with:

SPICER# 5-1306X
ROCKFORD# K1306
DETROIT# 7260
NEAPCO# 1-6300 / 1-6301
PRECISION (MOOG)# 315G
TRW (FEDERAL MOGUL)# 20030 / 20030P

jmanjeeper

Cadet

for the spicer 5-1306X I noticed the grease zerk is on the end of the cap...is that the correct part?

Don S

Last edited by a moderator:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

for the spicer 5-1306X I noticed the grease zerk is on the end of the cap...is that the correct part?

The ones I got had the same thing, zerk on the cap. There is also a threaded hole in the cross with a plug in it. You could swap the plug and zerk easily enough. I don't think the zerk in the cap presents a problem though, I'm pretty sure there's lots of room in the bellows, but I will be measuring to make sure before I put the drive back on.

9513061Xcomp.jpg

Don S

There is NOT a lot of room in the bellows. Put the plug in the cap. Wonder why they did that???? Seems like an odd place for a zirk.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Wow. That's the first I've ever seen with the zerk on the end cap.

jmanjeeper

Cadet

ok I found a local place who has the spicer u-joint 5-1306X for 13 a piece.....he recommended I use the solid u-joints for 16 bucks...what is you guys take on that...this is a brand new adventure to me so I figured I would ask you guys with a lot more experience.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's what I used most recently on my dad's boat. It is a permanently sealed unit with no grease zert at all. It will do fine.