loctite type "A"

ziggy

Admiral
is there something that substitutes for loctite type 'A' (C-92-32609-1).... i only need a drop it says. putting together the shift shaft, washer and shift lever in the bell housing.... the loctite is for the screw bisecting the shift shaft and shift shaft lever....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: loctite type "A"

Loctite 271 (red), about any auto parts store carries it, even in the small tube.

ziggy

Admiral

Loctite 271 (red)
cool, thanks dons.... that's what i was hopeing.... i even got some on hand..... my guess was that was an acceptable sub. since ya gotta heat it to remove it(the screw). but with all mistakes i been making lately i fig. i'd better take achris's advise.... if ya got a question, ask..... thanks....

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I would use loctite (blue) ya don't need heat to get screw out.

ziggy

Admiral

i'm sorry, just gotta say it... interesting.... i'm R&Rin a aftermarket shift shaft and shift shaft lever. a brand new one, never used, my mistake for buyin it. an aftermaket one.. the aftermarket when installed hosed me by being so tight the shift shaft wouldn't turn freely at all... anyways... guess what the after market had for loctite on the bisecting screw. what appeared to be blue loctite, pre applied........ one part after the other, i'm being less impressed with aftermarket parts...... mercruiser or quicksilver please..... fooey on chineeze parts.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

one part after the other, i'm being less impressed with aftermarket parts

I have always recommended using OEM parts, and always have and never even tried aftermarket parts, till moving down here. After leaving Alaska and stating to work here where everything is aftermarket, the onlything I can say is I would never, NEVER, NEVER start my own shop and use aftermarket, I just couldn't do that to my customers. Takes more labor to use them, and they aren't as good.
What was that TV commercial with "Not Exactly", well that is how aftermarket marine parts fit, and I truley HATE them. NOTHING (aftermarket) fits like it should.