Submerged mercruiser

rocket1968

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Submerged mercruiser

Same as most, water above the starter, but only for a short time. How it happened was funny. Pump stopped working and had a small leak, so every few hours we would pull the plug, start the boat and then WOT for a while as the water let out then turn off motor, jump in and put in plug (we call it the "water letter outer" ala Curley from three stooges) I got hit with a wave in 20 ft of water while hanign off of the ladder in the back on the last run and dropped the plug. SO we put in a makeshift plug made of a towel and got to the dock, and tied it up and put in the trailer ASAP. ended up submerging the starter, but within 20 30 minutes, got the boat dry, put in a new pump (now with an auto switch) and got back on the lake. All is good!

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Submerged mercruiser

There may be one or two but for the most of you all have never sucked up water in a motor as many times as I have. Not proud of it but BS happens when experiment getting everything you can. Some times you lose.
Along with some others I think the first thing is drain the crankcase. If there is water. New oil, filter and a quart of diesel fuel. Pull the spark plugs, squirt some oil inside the cylinders and crank the crap out of it with the starter (instead of that I would pull the dist and turn the oil pump with a drill). After you know the oil/fuel is through the motor put the plugs back in and see if you can start it. If you do get it started Nothing Above a Idle! Let it run for a minute or two and then shut it down and change the oil, filter again with another qt of D-fuel. This time let it warm up but again Nothing Above a Idle! Then you will have to change the oil a couple times to get the diesel fuel out.
Good luck. It's a shot in the dark but I've seen it work first hand.

This time it did not.
Took this pretty motor.
zzbzs4.jpg

Added water,
zzcpn2.jpg

And this is what it looked like inside about 12 hours later.
zzdnh0.jpg