omc stringer 800 winterizing question

angie1015

Petty Officer 3rd Class
bought this 1982 larson last winter 25 foot dc with and omc stringer drive. i installed a rebuilt 350 with some extra horses and the boat ran like a top all year. first time in years i have been able to just get in the boat and go. no worries. I want to make sure my next summer is just as successful so winterizing is important. I have already pulled the plugs on the motor and drained all the water out. now what? what can i do to the drive if anything. I know its an old drive and I would rater not chance it. drain the fluid ect..... i known nothing about these old drives all i know is i want it to continue to work. i know parts are hard to find for this dinosaur of an outdrive. thanks in advance...

Malibud

Seaman Apprentice
Re: omc stringer 800 winterizing question

look on omc forum it tells what to do

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: omc stringer 800 winterizing question

Drain the exhaust manifolds (the logs), there is a rubber cap at the bottom in the back on each side, disconnect the large hose from the thermostat housing to water pump, let thermostat housing drain and water pump drain out. You probably have a power steering cooler tucked under the shift box at the back of the motor, the drain in it is probably rusted, take the hose that runs across the intake manifold to the thermostat housing (from the back of the motor on the left) and blow into it (compressed air, mouth, whatever) this will push the water out of the cooler.

Grease pivot bearings on outdrive, grease swivel bearing in lower unit, change lube in all three sections (intermediate, upper and the lower), store with drive down. Thats about all there is to do with regard to the drive.

Before you drain the system, if you have not already, change your oil and filter and then fire it up to circulate the fresh oil, while doing this, take out the can of fogging oil and spray into the carburetor until the engine stalls. Think we have it all covered. I usually store mine with the trim all the way up (motor all the way down on the motor mounts) to take the pressure off the hydraulics. Again, drive down if stored outside.