1968 Mercruiser/GM Inline Six

VinceJ

Cadet
New here, please be patient...I need to find out exactly what engine I have here...Stamped on Block is H198?392168...This engine is in a 68 SeaRay, Head is stamped 7763, has dual Rochester Carbs and says Mercruiser 150hp on the valve cover sticker...also GM is stamped on the block...No tag near starter, Hull ID Plate is blank for engine...Hull ID is there Length and Beam as well....any help is appreciated

Thanks!!!
Vince

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1968 Mercruiser/GM Inline Six

It sounds like a 150 HP the were the 230 cu. in. GM six for many years Mercrusier use it till 1966, with the block and head casting numbers goto your auto parts store they can cross them if they chose to

VinceJ

Cadet

Thank You Laddie very much...wanna field somemore q's?...lol

A. Can I get an appropriate set of marine gaskets for this engine at NAPA or do I have to pay throught the nose at my local Mercruiser Dealer?

B. SeaRay is of no help even telling me what model this boat is...it is 19'6" with an 86" beam...1968 vintage closed bow...would ya consider this a runabout?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yes and yes Vince. Napa should have a marine gasket set. The big difference between auto and marine is the head gasket. It has a stainless crush ring instead of steel. Most other gaskets would be the same.

Your description makes it a runnabout.

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A. Can I get an appropriate set of marine gaskets for this engine at NAPA or do I have to pay throught the nose at my local Mercruiser Dealer?

Trouble I'm finding with our local NAPA is that they don't stock anything related to boating and it all has to be ordered and shipped from other states. So if your NAPA is small time, you could either:

A. Go to your local Mercruiser dealer and pay through the nose and get the part today (they carry non-OEM too - which chances are, that's what you're going to get from NAPA), or

B. Go to your local NAPA and pay close to the same amount and pay for shipping if they don't have it in stock and wait for several more days for it to be shipped, plus another trip back to NAPA to pick up the part, plus a chance it got damaged while in the mail on the way to your local NAPA, which means the part either has to be sent back and re-ordered or you just have to live with the damaged part if its not too bad.

From now on, I'll pay for the part at the local Merc dealer and be happy that I have it today and safe and sound.:) Can you tell I've had some problems with my local NAPA? :rolleyes: Just do a price check first and then weigh your odds.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Can you explain the "dual carbs"?
The IL6 had only one to my knowledge

Laddies

Banned

The original inline 6 mercury used was the 230 ci. in GM engine with a single carb they called a 140PH or a 1/B unit and with the 2 single barrel carbs they called it a 150HP or a 1/C unit

VinceJ

Cadet

Can you explain the "dual carbs"?
The IL6 had only one to my knowledge
On my particular engine I have two Rochester Carbs and according to Laddies that makes it a 150hp 1/c...I am gaining a wealth of knowledge here...what ever possessed me to think that for my first boat I could try to restore a classic boat....(that was rhetorical...no replies required...lol)...Another question that a reply would be appreciated, How do I know which outdrive this is?...I cant find a number on it but I might be lookin in the wrong place and I have heard I have to seperate the lower from upper to find out...I would think there should be a simple solution than tearing it apart...would a picture help?...I feel like a dunce but I gotta learn somewhere...thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:

VinceJ

Cadet

Here is a Pic of the upper end of the engine for those who replied about the dual carb.

Attachments

• 100_0684 (3).JPG
    100_0684 (3).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

How do I know which outdrive this is?
underneath the sticker, most likely on th port side, on the upper is the serial number................

think ya need service manual #1........pp 1A-5 describes findeing the serial number

"http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf"

cool lookin twin carbs vincej........

VinceJ

Cadet

Only trouble is, there is no sticker...lmao...I want to do this boat justice, I guess because I picked it up for five hundred bucks and it really isnt in terrible condition, lots of clean up to do, needs a new deck, wiring looked like spaghetti and I stripped that down and finally found the original wiring harness...(yes it was that bad)...this is going to be my fishing boat and I suppose I could do without making it entirely pretty, but one step at a time and just maybe she can find a little of her old self...if I am posting too much sorry...this boat has become and obsession...I will post a pic of outdrive maybe that will help....hope this Striker can make Seaman soon...weird coming from a Army Reserve Medic....oy