1978 Mercruiser 228 Tune Up Questions

Pulse121

Cadet
Picked up a '78 browning monte carlo II. The engine seems to run fine (was hard to start but it had been sitting for a long time).

Has a new starter, fuel filter, batt. and impeller.

My questions:
Sparkplugs, which ones do I use? If I understand it right (new to boats) the 228 is a smallblock chevy engine. Can I just go down and get regular plugs from an automotive store?

Oil filter, same as above, automotive store or is there a special marine filter I should pick up?

Lastly, which oil would you recommend running? I'm in savannah, ga so it doesn't get to cold, is damn hot in the summer and the boat will, most likely, be used all year round (might be park for jan and part of feb at most).

Thanks in advance. :)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Mercruiser 228 Tune Up Questions

Picked up a '78 browning monte carlo II. The engine seems to run fine (was hard to start but it had been sitting for a long time).

Has a new starter, fuel filter, batt. and impeller.

My questions:
Sparkplugs, which ones do I use? If I understand it right (new to boats) the 228 is a smallblock chevy engine. Can I just go down and get regular plugs from an automotive store?
ACMR43T or equivelent, you can get marine plugs at Napa....

Oil filter, same as above, automotive store or is there a special marine filter I should pick up?
Merc does make them, but auto will work....

Lastly, which oil would you recommend running? I'm in savannah, ga so it doesn't get to cold, is damn hot in the summer and the boat will, most likely, be used all year round (might be park for jan and part of feb at most).

Thanks in advance. :)
Straight 30 wt or Merc 25w-40.....:)

Pulse121

Cadet

Damn I love this forum. :)

I've been on a lot of forums over the years (I've been on the net full time since '94, watched them replace BBS and UseNet) and this is, probably, the fastest, best responding, forum I've been on.

Thanks for the fast response, I'll be making a trip to the store today (was already heading there for a batt. box, now my shopping list has increased).

Oh, what about plug wires? Any imparticular I should use?

I'll look into the distro cap/rotor and carbs next. But with labor day weekend fast approaching, and having not had a chance to get my new boat wet, I'm hoping to not spend the weekend working on it. (spent the last two weekends rebuilding the trailer.) :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I use Magstar, but I would imagine Sierra is OK, too.......:)

Pulse121

Cadet

I use Magstar, but I would imagine Sierra is OK, too.......:)

I don't recognize the name brands, are these from NAPPA/Autozone or do I need to make a trip to the boat store? :)

I'm asking because they're in different directions from work. Also, I haven't had an excuse to go to the boat store yet, I've found everything local. :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Napa will carry Sierra, but you will most likely have to go to the boatstore for Magstar......
One goodthing about the city is ya can get darn near anything you want easily.......:)

Pulse121

Cadet

Napa will carry Sierra, but you will most likely have to go to the boatstore for Magstar......
One goodthing about the city is ya can get darn near anything you want easily.......:)

Except a cheap starter boat! Had to ride up to Buford for that (NE of atlanta).

Can't tell you how exciting that was, driving home through the hills, at night, and finding out the trailer lights didn't work! :)

Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping doing a quick tuneup won't be to hard, the engine is pretty easy to access but it's an I/O so, who knows. :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well, good luck!.....
You are gonna want to check the ujoint bellows for signs of wearing out & you will want to lube the u joints & change the gear oil, before you splash it.....
If the ujoint bellows even look dry rotted or cracked, you will need to replace them.....
Failure while in the water will co$t ya.....
Get an outdrive gasket set, the o rings for the fill/vent holes on the drive, some ujoint/gimbal bearing grease 2 quarts of Merc gearlube & the gearlube pump........
For all intents you have an Alpha 1, gen 1 drive.....;)
My buddy lives over in Blufton, nice water over there......:)
Click on the link below & go to 'service' manuals.....
The manual for your drive is #6.....
(Close enough anyway).....
Click on the lettered sections on page seven to download the section you want to view......
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf

Pulse121

Cadet

Just to make sure I'm reading this right:

If I need to replace the UJoint Bellows, the sterndrive needs to come off, correct? It looks like it goes between the transom assembly and the sterndrive.

I'm hoping it doesn't need it (with my luck it'll be a special order part and take 2 weeks to get here :) ) but, if it's where I think it is, I should be able to check it tonight or tomorrow afternoon (boat is stored offsite).

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

Well, good luck!.....
You are gonna want to check the ujoint bellows for signs of wearing out & you will want to lube the u joints & change the gear oil, before you splash it.....
If the ujoint bellows even look dry rotted or cracked, you will need to replace them.....
Failure while in the water will co$t ya.....
Get an outdrive gasket set, the o rings for the fill/vent holes on the drive, some ujoint/gimbal bearing grease 2 quarts of Merc gearlube & the gearlube pump........
For all intents you have an Alpha 1, gen 1 drive.....;)
My buddy lives over in Blufton, nice water over there......:)
Click on the link below & go to 'service' manuals.....
The manual for your drive is #6.....
(Close enough anyway).....
Click on the lettered sections on page seven to download the section you want to view......
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf

by u-joint bellow, is it the rubber thing that looks like a car's CV boot?

just out of curiosity, what happens if they are cracked and put in the water?

Pulse121

Cadet

If I've read right, water washes out the lube around the gears and the joint eats itself (metal on metal).

Kinda like take the gear oil out of a rear wheel drive car and then doing a burnout.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It will destoy your ujoints, gimbal bearing & possibly your drive if left unchecked......
& it can possibly sink your boat, given enough time.....
Yes, it looks like the cv boot.....
It is the one thing you cannot ignore when getting a boat that is new to you.......;)

MikDee

Banned

What size is the boat? I had a 78' SeaRay 20' bowrider with the 228hp Mercruiser, it was a Type 1 outdrive, not an Alpha back then, It is a 305 (5.0) liter Chevy with a 4bbl carb. I put new manifolds, & risers on it, and thru-hull exhaust. I picked up a good set of Mag style Borg/Warner wires reasonable from Pep Boys.

Pulse121

Cadet

I'll be heading over to the boat in a bit. I'll check it out, take pics if I can get the cam in there, and report back.

Looks like I'll end up doing it myself. Local boat shop wants $550+parts to replace it (though they'd be replacing it, exhaust bellows, etc too).

That's almost 1/2 what I paid for the boat. :D

Hoping it's fine, I'd really like to spend some time on the water this weekend.

Pulse121

Cadet

Okay, looks like the U-Joint bellows are brand new.

They probably replaced it when they put in the new impeller.

Attatched a pic of it I took by climbing under the drive and looking up. I know it's been in the water at least twice. once when we floated the boat off the old trailer and onto mine and once when we floated it out into a pond so we could work on the trailer.

I've also attatched pics of the blower/scupper tubes. As you can see they're junk. I'm going to replace them but I need to know where they are supposed to be run.

The blower itself is on the front tube on the starboard side. So, where should I take all these tubes to? And should they all be connected to something or are three of them just vents while one is powered?

Actually, come to think of it, I didn't look on the port side to see if it had another blower unit.

Oh, and we got the boat started. Had to prime the carb but once we got it going it ran nice and steady. The only issue is it won't idle with the throttle lever in the neutral position.

Now, the lever itself is really loose. So I'm going to try and take it apart and tighten it up but I'm not sure that's the issue with the idle.

As you move the lever back towards neutral it starves the engine and it just sputters to a stop. So, opinions, does it sound like I just need to adjust the linkage? I don't seem to have a timing issue, spark issue or fuel problem. Just seems to idle down and die. Actually sounds pretty much the same as if you just turn the key off.

Ideas on any of the above?

Attachments

• UJoint Bellows.JPG
    UJoint Bellows.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Starboard Blower Lines.JPG
    Starboard Blower Lines.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Port Blower Lines.JPG
    Port Blower Lines.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 0

Pulse121

Cadet

What size is the boat? I had a 78' SeaRay 20' bowrider with the 228hp Mercruiser, it was a Type 1 outdrive, not an Alpha back then, It is a 305 (5.0) liter Chevy with a 4bbl carb. I put new manifolds, & risers on it, and thru-hull exhaust. I picked up a good set of Mag style Borg/Warner wires reasonable from Pep Boys.

It's about 20'. And it sounds like you had the same engine I have now.

Does it take the same size cables as the regular 305? Or are they a different length?

Also, anyone remember what model the carb is? It's running now but I plan to rebuilt it at some point and want to make sure I get the right kit.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would leave the throttle alone for now.....
Does the choke function properly?......
You will need to ID the carb, there are several possibilities.......
Your drive is a pre alpha as pointed out but manual #6 will work for almost all your needs except a full tear down......;)
Your bellows look OK, Just keep an eye on them for dryness or cracking.....
What cables are you referring to?.....
The length will be marked on one of the ends.....
All older Merc cables have the same ends, for the most part......:)

Pulse121

Cadet

I would leave the throttle alone for now.....
Does the choke function properly?......
You will need to ID the carb, there are several possibilities.......
Your drive is a pre alpha as pointed out but manual #6 will work for almost all your needs except a full tear down......;)
Your bellows look OK, Just keep an eye on them for dryness or cracking.....
What cables are you referring to?.....
The length will be marked on one of the ends.....
All older Merc cables have the same ends, for the most part......:)

I couldn't find a choke, any idea where it would be?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

The choke is part of the carb....
Pull the flame arrestor off & see if the butterflies open as the engine warms......
The fact that you got it started at all is a good sign......
You should change the water separating fuel filter as well.....:)