starter does not engage the flywheel

gshriner

Recruit
Hello ppl's I am new to the marine motor and need some help and thought this would be a great place to find it.

I replaced a 78 mercruser 898 305 chevy with a 77 to78 truck 350 chevy engine and the starter does not engage the flywheel. I think the fix would be to get a larger flywheel. But when I called our marina shop they said the 305 was the same flywheel as a 350. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem? I did read on here someone else had the same problem his answer was to drill a new whole and use the starter from the 898 305, I did try to put the 305 starter on but it is in deed missing the hole closes to the oil pan as the 350 starter off sets and the 305 goes straight across.

what is the difference other then how they bolt on and yes one is 305 marine and the other is 350 auto and yes I will get a 350 marine starter but there is a lot to do before it hits the watter, and I want to get it in the running stage before I get the motor aligned so if I need to take the motor back out to fix this problem. This way I don't pay twice for an engine alignment.

Thanks for any help on this.

Glenn

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: starter does not engage the flywheel

What was the size of the flywheel that came off the original 305 motor and the truck motor? Chevy has two size flywheels. A 14 and a 12.5

Bondo

Staff member
Re: starter does not engage the flywheel

I did try to put the 305 starter on but it is in deed missing the hole closes to the oil pan as the 350 starter off sets and the 305 goes straight across.

Ayuh,..........

Chevies use 1 of 2 Flywheels,.......
And,..... Blocks are Drilled for 1 or the Other,... Or Both......

Your 350 Block dictates that you have to use the 14", 168T Flywheel......
I believe it will clear the flywheel cover,+ should Not be an Issue with your installation.....

Adding that other Hole in the Block isn't that Easy to get it Right........