TDC where should my rotor be?

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Help please!

Piston 1 is at top dead center. Should my rotor point to spark plug 1? If it's supposed to point to another one how do I go about doing that?

My engine is 1970 - AQ130c

Thanks

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: TDC where should my rotor be?

Yes, but you need to make sure it is at TDC on the compression stroke...
Put your finger on the #1 spark plug hole & make sure you feel compression as you turn the engine to get to TDC.....;)

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Or do what I do. Take a compression guage hose and put it in the spark plug hole Tap crank the motor over lightly till you start hearing a PPPSSSHHHTTT coming out of the compression guage hose. it may take a couple of tires but its a truck my buddy showed me and it never fails
Rob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Once you actually get #1 piston up on TDC of the compression stroke, no matter where your rotor is pointing, that will be where #1 spark plug wire should be on the distributor cap.

Why are you having this problem to begin with????

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

If the rotor is not pointing to # 1, there's several options.

1, lift the distributor up 1", turn the rotor to just past #1, (to allow for the bevel gear rotation) and set down, clamp.
2, if it's close to # 1, turn the distributer in place,
3, change the wires to the appropriate terminal.

#1 is preferred but whichever you choose, you will have to time it with a light after.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the rotor is not pointing to # 1, there's several options.

1, lift the distributor up 1", turn the rotor to just past #1, (to allow for the bevel gear rotation) and set down, clamp.
2, if it's close to # 1, turn the distributer in place,
3, change the wires to the appropriate terminal.

#1 is preferred but whichever you choose, you will have to time it with a light after.

Unless you know what a 130 Volvo is, be careful what you suggest.

hoof harted

Cadet

don't do what i did an mark the timin marks in the wrong place on that timin mark pointer thingy. the dang thing won't ever run right.

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To answer you question Don, I changed over to electronic Ignition yesterday. I started my engine up yesterday with no problem. I started my motor this morning with no problem, so I was going to re-time my motor.

As I was getting ready to do the timing I noticed that my RPM was all over the place, this happened only when I throttled up, at idle it stayed right at 900 rpm. Problem is I need to be at 2000 rpm to time the motor. This is where everything went to hell in a hand basket.

As I tried to fix the fluctuating RPM by trying some carb adjustments I ran out of gas (I know, I know shoulda done this with at least a 1/4 tank.) Anyhow I filled up. Then my motor wouldn't start up. I checked my fuel filters (had to replace one of them) I blew compressed air through my fuel line to clear the muck from the pick-up tube. So to make a long story short my fuel is flowing properly (checked and re-checked this).

I've turned my dampener to 0 (that put it to TDC, my finger was getting pushed off by pressure from the cylinder). That's why I was wondering if the rotor was supposed to be pointing to #1.

Here's another tid-bit of info, my #1 and #3 plug are soaked, #2 and #4 have a real dry almost sooty look. #3 and #4 have a brownish tinge to them. I need somebody to help me with a read on those plugs. Should I replace them? The plugs are 2 years old but only have 1 season on them.

Thank again and I look forward to your responses.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The motor RPM's are all over the place or the gauge is reading all over the place?

BlowHo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to hijack, but basically same question. I have an OMC 460, freshly rebuilt and I am trying to switch to a distributor.

Once I have #1 piston at TDC, the rotor is pointing to the spot on the cap where the #1 PLUG WIRE should go, right. I am a little confused since I am reading this and think someone said it should point at the #1 SPARK PLUG, not the terminal for the wire on the cap.

I haven't messed with a distributor in a long time, my memory was that on a new motor/distrbiutor, you went TDC and then placed the wires on the cap to correspond with the cylinders that are firing. Right? Wrong?

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Turns out my coil is shot. I did the test where you pull the center wire and put it up close to the block and look for an arc. My coil put out a wimpy little orange arc. I double checked the test by jumping my boat battery with my running vehicle, just to make absolutely sure I had max voltage, my coil still pumped out a wimpy little spark.

It's too late to get a coil tonight, but can anyone tell me what model coil I need for my AQ130? I'd prefer to go with a Bosch, I currently have some no-name coil in my boat.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Unless you know what a 130 Volvo is, be careful what you suggest.

You're correct Don, I don't know.

Does that mean it's not a basic GM 4 cylinder with a regular marine distributor?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Does that mean it's not a basic GM 4 cylinder with a regular marine distributor?

Way back then, VolvoPenta used their own motors. Basically, it's a marinized volvo car engine - 2.0L pushrod engine (no rubber band). Old but reliable technology. The distributor is marine, as is the alt and starter.

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Turns out the EI module was bad. I put my points and condenser back in today and my engine fired right up. I re-timed the motor and she runs sweet again! With all the new stuff I installed my motor turns over with the slightest bump! AWESOME.

I've contacted Hot Spark to see if they'll send me a new module. It's Saturday so I probably won't hear from them until after the long weekend. No Sweat! I can wait.

Any way thanks to all of you for the help and input!