Do I have enough enough skeg left for a skeggard?

While loading the boat today the wind was freakin ridiculous and the waves were the size I've seen in Hawaiin bays. Anyways, as I was loading the boat I did't have it trimmed all the way up and broke off my skeg. First questio is can I still run the boat with the skeg like this and expect ABOUT the same performance or will it not perform hardly it all? Second question, I eventually want to replace/rebuild the skeg so, do I have enough room for a skegaurd, or should I try to a new skeg welded on? I know the skegard is about $100, but how much would the average weld cost me? I know they'd have to pull the lower unit and remove the guts, so that is the price I'mlooking for. Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Joe

Attachments

• July 033.jpg
    July 033.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • July 034.jpg
    July 034.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do I have enough enough skeg left for a skeggard?

You can remove the skeg completely and not notice it. You still have enough there to protect the prop a little from sticks. If I was in your place, I would go for a ride and see how different it feels to you. I sure won't hurt anything.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I put a skeggard on a few weeks ago. you need 2 inches of skeg left to drill the holes. all you have to do is grind the sharp edges drill 2 holes bolt it up and use thread lock and you are set 10 minute installation. no complaints here. best prices I could find on the net were on ebay around 105

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

the reason I got a skeggard is my local merc shop said they could not fix it for under 110 and recomended a skeggard. Thats my local shop maybe yours is cheaper.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the reason I got a skeggard is my local merc shop said they could not fix it for under 110 and recomended a skeggard. Thats my local shop maybe yours is cheaper.

If a customer came to my shop and ask me how much it would cost to replace the skeg with a Skegguard or weld a new one on, I would give him the prices on both.
Now, if he came in and ask if it was necessary to fix, I would say NO.
What question did you ask?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have had replacements made before. One way is to make a cardboard template and find a local shot that deals in stainless steel sheet metal and have your own (skegguard) bent up and install it with stainless steel bolts. I have fashioned them with the folded portion towards the bow and they work great. Usually cost about $20 to have that done......

OR

Have a piece of aluminum welded on and shaped......

OR

based on your photos.... Don is right just leave well enough alone.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

If a customer came to my shop and ask me how much it would cost to replace the skeg with a Skegguard or weld a new one on, I would give him the prices on both.
Now, if he came in and ask if it was necessary to fix, I would say NO.
What question did you ask?

I asked my local dealer how much to weld a new skeg on I was advised $100-$200.00 depending on how it goes I asked about the skeggard and he advised me to get on and do it myself and was told to get one on ebay. They never offered to sell me one or install one. when I asked I was advised that I should have a skeg on.

gregstukey

Seaman

I broke off my skeg almost completely last year and bailed on having it fixed--absolutley no performance loss in not having it fixed. Damn, the boat is running so good right now (knocking on wood) that I should have broke that thing off way sooner! ;-).

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I'll wait and see how she handles before I decide anything.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not having a skeg is a bad idea. They would not have put it on the drive if it wasn't needed. The skeg is intended to protect your prop from damage and the odds are unless you are extremely lucky you will trip up on something and rather than passing under the prop it will go into the prop and damage it along with the rest of the drive. I put the Skeggard on and it works like a charm. The Skeggard is cheap at around 100 bucks and you still have plenty of skeg left to attach it to.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I did the same thing a couple of years ago... so much so that a skegguard will not fit - there is not enough skeg left to bolt to. I had been in touch with the Skegguard people, e-mailed a pic and they said there wan't enough.
You have plenty.
I had an aluminum skeg fabricated and welded back on (cost = one 12 pack) and wouldn't you know it, we had beached (on purpose) and a wave came along and pounded the skeg into the sand and broke IT off! Right now I'm running without any kind of skeg. Risky, but, to answer your question, it doesn't matter.
If I had enough to attach a skeg guard, I would... just to protect the prop.