Mercruiser U-Joints Bellows Parts Help

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a sterndrive serial number #4448631 for boat in my sig. I'm trying to lookup two parts to purchase. The 2 U-Joints and the U-joints or driveshaft?? bellows, but having no luck. Even a cross reference part number would be appreciated. Can someone help me ID the parts numbers so I can purchase these parts? Let me know if you need more info.

P.S. Would Quicksilver brand # 75832T fit this sterndrive? Just a wild guess??

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser U-Joints Bellows Parts Help

I think I have finally correctly ID'ed the sterndrive unit as being Pre-Alpha or "R" (is there a difference between the two??) Anyhow, with the link you provided, (Thanks, by the way firehog!!) I believe I have found the correct parts:

U-Joint Bellows - #18-2750
U-Joints - #18-2104

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!! So does that mean these U-Joints will replace fine with Mercruiser part #75832T as suggested on the U-Joints page above?

One final question for this post, for now... Is the only special tool I need to remove the gimbal ring the #91-78310 hinge pin tool and any special tips on removing the gimbal ring, other than what is noted in the Merc OEM manual???

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

This might help, If not I'll look some more info I can send.

Attachments

• identify.jpg
    identify.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0

MercMonster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, this is definitely what my drive looks like - Pre-Alpha

So do the linked parts mentioned above go on this drive? Additionally, will the Mercruiser #75832T U-Joints fit this drive?

Bondo

Staff member

Well, this is definitely what my drive looks like - Pre-Alpha

So do the linked parts mentioned above go on this drive? Additionally, will the Mercruiser #75832T U-Joints fit this drive?

Ayuh,..... It appears that the parts in yer links in post #3 are for the drive pictured in post #5,....

I use a 1/2" allen key for the hinge pins,.... They're loc-tited, so heat the inner ends before turnin' 'em,....

I suggest replacin' ALL the rubber parts, 'n the lower shift cable,....
Yer pullin' the gimbal housin', not the ring, 'n when goin' that deep, replace All the replace-ables,.......

On 2nd thought, have you pulled the trim sender, or switch off yet, 'n Looked at the end of the pins,..??
Yer drive might be old enough to have the pins with aluminum lockin' nails, 'n need a slide-hammer to get out,....

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Seems to be, donno how it got where I found it,....