tools needed to replace all bellows on bravo 1

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer
Well I'm going to tackle the job. I have a water drip in my engine compartment coming off the driveshaft that goes to the outdrive on the transom side. I only have 250 hrs on the boat. I can't think of any other way the water would be getting there except for a leaky bellow. I have the complete bellow kit including gimble bearings. I have the SELOC sterndrive repair manual. I need a bellows expander.
It looks like I have to remove the bell housing. The tools listed for removing that are 1. tapered insert tool (#91-4379), 2. sleeve removal tool (#91-81869) and 3. hinge pin tool (#91-78310).
If anyone could recommend a source for getting these tools, at a reasonable price, I'd really appreciate it. It seems that it's just my luck to have problems like this arise. ARG!!
From what I can see right now before taking anything apart the bellows look good. No abraisions and they are real flexible. I wish they looked like crap or one was torn but they look like new.
Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I'm on a limited budget. With the water coming from where it is, I don't want to use the boat fearing I may damage some expensive parts.

thrasher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tools needed to replace all bellows on bravo 1

It probably doesn't help, but I just bought the hinge pin removal tool 91-78310 from Ebay for $17 (inluding P&P) but you won't have it in time for the weekend..

Gary

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Gary! Time isn't the issue, money is. But isn't that the way it usually is. I'll hit ebay. I didn't think of them.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Any Merc. dealer can get the tools. You can use a 1/2" allen wrench to get the hinge pins out, and you can destroy the tapered insert with some needle-nose pliers to get it out while you wait for the tools to come. A new tapered insert is dirt cheap and you will probably wreck the old one getting it out with the proper tool anyway.

What's the sleeve tool for? I don't recall needing one for my Bravo 3

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Now I remember the sleeve removal tool. Just use a slide hammer with a hook. The bellows kit likely came with a new sleeve anyway. It's an aluminum ring about 4-5" in diameter

tommays

Admiral

f4702a93.jpg

:eek:

It is tight in there and you must watch how ALL the hose clamps are positioned as they will poke holes in your NEW bellows if you place them wrong

Tommays

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys!!! I like the little med kit in the pic!
I guess I won't need all the tools then. I'll skip the sleeve tool and the hinge pin tool and the tapered insert tool. Looks like all I really need then is the bellows tool. Could I use plumbers goop for a sealer or should I go with the Mercruise stuff?

tommays

Admiral

It is just 3m rubber glue ;)

i would do it buy the book as a Leak cost so much money :eek:

NOT skipping the small stuff that makes the job get done right

Tommays

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

It is just 3m rubber glue ;)

i would do it buy the book as a Leak cost so much money :eek:

NOT skipping the small stuff that makes the job get done right

Tommays
RIGHT!!! I'll use the glue. Thanks again. Would you have any hints on making this job easier????,or should I just follow the manual?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

It's pretty easy work. If you can disconnect the drive oil line from the fitting on the gimbal housing, rather than removing the fitting by disconnecting from the inside, I think the effort will be worth it. I had a miserable time re-installing the E clip on the fitting from inside the boat. Went through three E clips before I got one on there.

Clean and paint everything you can while it's apart.

Be a great time to replace the shift cable. The Mercruiser cable is vastly superior to the aftermarket cable that was installed by the PO in my boat. Worth the extra money.