• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

tools needed to replace all bellows on bravo 1

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tools needed to replace all bellows on bravo 1

Well I'm going to tackle the job. I have a water drip in my engine compartment coming off the driveshaft that goes to the outdrive on the transom side. I only have 250 hrs on the boat. I can't think of any other way the water would be getting there except for a leaky bellow. I have the complete bellow kit including gimble bearings. I have the SELOC sterndrive repair manual. I need a bellows expander.
    It looks like I have to remove the bell housing. The tools listed for removing that are 1. tapered insert tool (#91-4379), 2. sleeve removal tool (#91-81869) and 3. hinge pin tool (#91-78310).
    If anyone could recommend a source for getting these tools, at a reasonable price, I'd really appreciate it. It seems that it's just my luck to have problems like this arise. ARG!!
    From what I can see right now before taking anything apart the bellows look good. No abraisions and they are real flexible. I wish they looked like crap or one was torn but they look like new.
    Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I'm on a limited budget. With the water coming from where it is, I don't want to use the boat fearing I may damage some expensive parts.
    21ft. Celebrity CC Firestar 350FI Silent Choice
    18ft. Sylvan Profisherman
    18ft Cobrajet 403olds berkley
    14ft Alumacraft

Re: tools needed to replace all bellows on bravo 1

It probably doesn't help, but I just bought the hinge pin removal tool 91-78310 from Ebay for $17 (inluding P&P) but you won't have it in time for the weekend..

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary! Time isn't the issue, money is. But isn't that the way it usually is. I'll hit ebay. I didn't think of them.
      14ft Alumacraft

Comment

Any Merc. dealer can get the tools. You can use a 1/2" allen wrench to get the hinge pins out, and you can destroy the tapered insert with some needle-nose pliers to get it out while you wait for the tools to come. A new tapered insert is dirt cheap and you will probably wreck the old one getting it out with the proper tool anyway.

What's the sleeve tool for? I don't recall needing one for my Bravo 3

Comment

Now I remember the sleeve removal tool. Just use a slide hammer with a hook. The bellows kit likely came with a new sleeve anyway. It's an aluminum ring about 4-5" in diameter

Comment

It is tight in there and you must watch how ALL the hose clamps are positioned as they will poke holes in your NEW bellows if you place them wrong

Tommays
            If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
            http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
            1981 J24 Tangent 2930
            http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
            Tommays
            Northport Ny

Comment

Thanks guys!!! I like the little med kit in the pic!
              I guess I won't need all the tools then. I'll skip the sleeve tool and the hinge pin tool and the tapered insert tool. Looks like all I really need then is the bellows tool. Could I use plumbers goop for a sealer or should I go with the Mercruise stuff?
              14ft Alumacraft

Comment

It is just 3m rubber glue

i would do it buy the book as a Leak cost so much money

NOT skipping the small stuff that makes the job get done right

Tommays
                If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
                http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
                1981 J24 Tangent 2930
                http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
                Tommays
                Northport Ny

Comment

Originally posted by tommays View Post
                  It is just 3m rubber glue

i would do it buy the book as a Leak cost so much money

NOT skipping the small stuff that makes the job get done right

Tommays
                  RIGHT!!! I'll use the glue. Thanks again. Would you have any hints on making this job easier????,or should I just follow the manual?
                  14ft Alumacraft

Comment

It's pretty easy work. If you can disconnect the drive oil line from the fitting on the gimbal housing, rather than removing the fitting by disconnecting from the inside, I think the effort will be worth it. I had a miserable time re-installing the E clip on the fitting from inside the boat. Went through three E clips before I got one on there.

Clean and paint everything you can while it's apart.

Be a great time to replace the shift cable. The Mercruiser cable is vastly superior to the aftermarket cable that was installed by the PO in my boat. Worth the extra money.

Comment

Working...
                    X