Holley 4160? stripped fuel inlet!

jhay77

Cadet
I thought I was finally ready to put the 74 formula in the water when I noticed a slow drip from the fuel inlet (where the steel line attaches) on the carb. The engine is a 302 ford and I believe the carb is a 4160. I took the line off of the carb and then removed the fitting which screws into the bowl only to find slivers of metal! After removing the bowl, I could look inside and see that the son of a gun was stripped. I can buy a brand new bowl for $74, but someone has to make a helicoil that size, right? Anyone know where I can find one or happen to have a better idea?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Coors

Captain
Re: Holley 4160? stripped fuel inlet!

Auto zone, etc , has kits , as you ain't the cherry to do that.

jhay77

Cadet

Sweet, I'll have to check tomorrow! Hopefully I can finally get this beast in the water now that summer has almost passed us by...

Scottaye

Cadet

You may want to go to a salvage yard. Ford used Holleys on some of their pickups from 85-95 at least. As far as I know, there's no helicoil that fine of thread. What I would do is not put the filter in there and find some fuel proof epoxy for the threads, not the gasket. It may not be a permanent fix, but it should get you through the season.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

But,

If your "fix" leaks it may kill you or one of your family!

You need to REPLACE either the carb or rebuild it using a new bowl.

Are you going to let $74 compromise safety?

That 4160 is a pretty good carb. I have one that came off my "old" OMC 460. It was the best part of it!

Regards,

Rick

You may want to go to a salvage yard. Ford used Holleys on some of their pickups from 85-95 at least. As far as I know, there's no helicoil that fine of thread. What I would do is not put the filter in there and find some fuel proof epoxy for the threads, not the gasket. It may not be a permanent fix, but it should get you through the season.