1969 Mercruiser rocker arm torque settings

salmonslayer5

Recruit
I have a 1971 sea ray with a 165hp inline 6cyl I had to replace the head gasket and have the head milled. I have looked everywhere trying to find the right torque settings for the rocker arms. Every mercruiser parts dealer won't give me the info i need because they ain't making any money from me doing it myself. If anyone has information relevant to this i would greatly apprieciate your help.

p.s. do i have to turn the motor so both valves are closed when tightening rocker arms.

Chris
salmonslayer5@gmail.com

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Mercruiser rocker arm torque settings

Welcome to iboats.....:)
Be right back with your answer....​

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Valve Adjustment
Engine Not Running
With valve cover removed, adjust valves when lifter
is on low part of camshaft lobe, as follows:
1. Crank engine with starter or turn over in normal
direction of rotation until mark on torsional damper
lines up with center “0” mark on timing tab, and
engine is in No. 1 firing position. This may be determined
by placing fingers on No. 1 valve as
mark. If valves move as mark comes up to timing
tab, engine is in No.6 firing position and should be
turned over one more time to reach No. 1 position.

No. 1 Cylinder - Exhaust and Intake
No. 2 Cylinder - Intake
No. 3 Cylinder - Exhaust
No. 4 Cylinder - Intake
No. 5 Cylinder - Exhaust
2. With engine in No. 1 firing position as determined
above, the following valves may be adjusted:
3. Back out adjusting nut until lash is felt at push rod,
then turn in adjusting nut until all lash is removed.
This can be determined by moving push rod upand-
down while turning adjusting nut until all play
is removed.
4. Hydraulic lifters now can be adjusted by tightening
adjustment nut an additional 3/4-turn. Valve
lash should be checked after engine has run and
reached operating temperature.
5. Crank engine one revolution until pointer “0” mark
and torsional damper mark are again in alignment.
This is No. 6 firing position. With engine in
this position, the following valves may be adjusted:

No. 2 Cylinder - Exhaust
No. 3 Cylinder - Intake
No. 4 Cylinder - Exhaust
No. 5 Cylinder - Intake
No. 6 Cylinder - Intake & Exhaust

6. Install distributor cap, spark plug wires and coil
lead.
7. Install rocker arm cover; torque to 40 lb. in. (4.5
N?m).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have looked everywhere trying to find the right torque settings for the rocker arms.

Bet you never looked in something called a Service Manual or you would have found it.

salmonslayer5

Recruit

Bet you never looked in something called a Service Manual or you would have found it.

Don S, your response was a real sign of what an arrogant jack-*** you must be. It?s a good thing there aren?t more people like you out here offering only sarcastic remarks. It?s nice to know there are people like Haut out there who take the time to offer valuable information to a do-it-yourselfer. Thanks Haut.

salmonslayer5

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You're welcome!......:)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ll stand by Don,Bondo,Haut and all the others that try to give you people the help you ask for. The 1st thing a mechanic should consult is a SERVICE MANUAL. Granted you boat owners will try to save a few bucks doing it yourself and ask questions if you get a bit stuck but don`t call us arrogant when we give you a correct answer.Want to know how something works , by a manual.Read up on what you are working on, then if you can`t find or fix something leave us a post and we`ll try to help.A IL6 is a chevy motor, try a Chilton for cars. Almost all the specs are in there for most marine applications.
Ford,Chevy, Chrysler ,there all listed too.Gasket companies offer a "Torque Book" for all applications.Mine is "Felpro".Arrogant,I don`t think so.You should think about what your asking.
"My boat does this?"
you think a year,make, model, engine type, drive type would be valuable information for us to help you when you ask the question.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

But no one gave him the right answer. There is no torque spec for rocker arm ajusting nuts because they aren't torqued down . The nuts are turned down until the proper lifter aJustment is reached and no further.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Someone here did give the correct information.
Just curious,, where did you get that information from???
some type of printed media ,aka service book or manual

Buttanic

Someone here did give the correct information.
Just curious,, where did you get that information from???

Been working on chevy engines for 40+ years. Pretty much common knowledge that ball type rocker arms are not torqued, the metallic lock nut holds the ajustment in place. Only shaft type rockers have a torque spec and according to the Mercruiser parts break down his engine should have ball type rockers.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Can't we all just get along? :D

2104299Bunnies.jpg

;):):D

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you and i know that, but when we did it the Chilton`s manual wasn`t far behind.Don`t tell me you never had to look something up.we all do at some point.(dying brain cell`s i think or too much beer).The point is the most important tool is a Manual specific to your application.Working on T-Bolt ign. systems i still have to look up the procedure,again it`s all in the manual.
roller rockers and roller cams, what an era. 69 Chevy II, 396SS

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S, your response was a real sign of what an arrogant jack-*** you must be. It’s a good thing there aren’t more people like you out here offering only sarcastic remarks.

Ouch! Salmon, with your 2 posts, you might want to read a little bit more in here before you slam someone with Don's credentials. He spends as much time if not more than anyone else in here helping people like us every single day. (Look at his number of posts.) And, he works on this stuff day in and day out making his knowledge in here indispensible. While he might not have stated it the best way, you were already given the info you required by another respected member here, therefore he was telling you that you need to get the manuals for your boat. I guarantee you that if Haut hadn't posted the info first, Don would have either answered your question or pointed you to the exact online location to find the answer while stating that you need to get manuals if you want to do the work yourself.

I think you will find this forum an invaluable resource of information if you chose to stick around here. (We all hope you do chose to stay.) If you do, please think before you post negative about the people here who are working hard to help the rest of us. If you read around here, you will notice that this is not your typical forum where flame wars abound. We are all about trying to help each other here at no cost.

Buttanic

you and i know that, but when we did it the Chilton`s manual wasn`t far behind.Don`t tell me you never had to look something up.we all do at some point.(dying brain cell`s i think or too much beer).The point is the most important tool is a Manual specific to your application.Working on T-Bolt ign. systems i still have to look up the procedure,again it`s all in the manual.
roller rockers and roller cams, what an era. 69 Chevy II, 396SS

Everyone was telling him to look in the manual. He would never have found what isn't there. If there is no torque spec for a nut or bolt the manual doesn't say do not torque. Haut Medoc gave him the valve ajustment procedure but it doesn't have a torque spec for the ajustment nuts because there isn't any, it only gave the spec for the valve cover bolts. He even said he looked everywhere for the spec.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Point made
There is no spec for torque because they are not torqued. There is a procedure for adjusting the clearance in the manual though that outlines the steps that need to be taken and in what order.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Christ o mighty - give it up!......:p