Captain call exhaust

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
hey guys

i went to the boat show a few weeks ago. Sort of funny the only two boats that caught my intrest were a 19.5 bayliner open bow. i didnt realize it was a bayliner till I looked down. the other one was a Chris Craft speedster. I almost hijacked it right there.

Anyway i see that a lot of boats today are starting to come with captain call exhaust. not sure what it was but I read up on it and it basically moves the exhasut to a through hull design but its on the sides of the boat not in the back through the transom.

Can i do that to my 1989 bayliner capri with a 5.0 v8? are there any advantages to it or is it more of a hey "hear me roar kind of thing"? Im assuming the exhaust would be louder since its not under water line mine is now
Rob

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Captain call exhaust

I had it on my Liberator with the 460 OMC.

It was REALLY loud!

So loud in fact that everyone in the boat wanted me to turn it off as soon as i turned it on.

Straight pipe exhaust is pretty much illegal on most lakes now-a-days and a loud boat will get you a ticket if you exceed the noise levels for that area.

Corsa does have muffler tips and I have been considering putting them on along with mine if I decide to re-install them.

I do like the quiet though.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My uncle has captains call on his liberator and it sounds good but the conservation officer doesnt agree and gave them a ticket. He told them that if he steps on your boat with cap. call and it is hooked up it is an automatic ticket.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Someone came through our area with one of those. Stayed at the local lake for a week. Everyone liked the boat and thought it sounded great. After hearing it run for 6-8 hours for several days in a row, it got to the point of being annoying. After lots of complaints, he was told to take it out and not to put it back in until he installed mufflers on it.

IMHO I like it quiet. Sure is hard to hear any mechanical noise when it is drowned out by loud exhaust. It could also be a saftey factor as well since it would be hard to hear someone screaming for help.

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

I like to hear the sound of my engine some, especially a V8, and do believe there is a performance edge, but I don't like excessive noise. an example: A Harley motorcycle with low restriction mufflers sounds nice, but with straight pipes hurts my ears, and is more of an "in your face type of thing" and I do not approve. I've had thru hull exhaust on a few boats already, but think there's ways to keep the excess noise down, as with marine mufflers, especially on engines bigger then 300cubic inches. The Corsa system looks like a good choice, but knowing them, I'm sure it's not cheap.

ziggy

Admiral

personally, i like the sound of any well tuned engine. open exhust sounds great at idle. but. when i'm out enjoyin the lake, nice and quite and keepin to myself. the loud open exhust from another boat kinda bums me out. almost more than jet fleas....it seems to me it's a look at me type item.....granted ya probably get a few extra hp out of open exhust. but the rest of the folks on the lake don't care about that......

sound on a lake really travels a long ways too. ya can here open exhust comeing from miles away. at least the fleas go away relitively fast.....

whywhyzed

Banned

I agree with others about the noise -it's neat at idle - beyond that - get lost- it's also illegal where I live unless your boat was manufactured before 1960 or is participating in a sanctioned race event (not a poker run) - they don't seem to do anything about it though.

It's mostly about attracting attention - the performance gains are basically zero.

MikDee

Banned

As I said thru hull exhaust is not that loud with mufflers, I'm sorry if a few loud big block motors with straight thru hull pipes have spoiled your fun. Remember all inboards had thru hull exhaust before the I/O thru the prop exhaust was even invented, and no one complained then. Besides, how can you say the gains are minimal compared to thru prop exhaust? Maybe on a small 4cyl, or 6cyl, yeah, but bigger 6's, and V8's are restricted by the smaller then 2" single obstructed thru the prop exhaust, figure it out for yourself, my engines ran cooler, more powerful, and more efficient, with thru hull exhaust, and it's only there to please me, or those who care. If you think this is loud, how about those jerks with big block drag boats, and the like, with dry straight open header exhausts! There has to be a happy median here, because with my cars, I've hit the starter twice on occassion grinding it, because it was so quiet I didn't know it was running? (maybe good for grannies, but not for me) and throttling down on my boat a lot of times, I never knew it stalled, because it was too quiet. Stock outboards themselves at least make more noise normally then a stock I/O. Jetski's all have water mufflers on them, and most of the newer ones have a cat converter type muffler, be thankful, because it would sound like dirt bikes all over the water without them, and you're complaining about their noise? My jetski in stock form is probably one of the loudest by design I've noticed, but I'm not complaining, and I don't intend to make it louder.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

To paraphrase SSMayfloat:

Mufflers make good neighbors.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You just have to love the harley guys t-shirts that say "loud pipes save lives"... I completely disagree, loud pipes don't save lives, they just **** everyone off... A switchable thru-hull exhaust is a nice option though.. If no-one is around and you want the extra performance and to really hear your engine, open it up.. The rest of the time? be curteous!

tommays

Admiral

When there are twin big blocks at are ramp you need hearing protection when there just warming up the motors :eek:

Out on the open saltwater the sound does not travel that bad when it is a normal breezy day

But when i am up on a fresh water lake like Lake George you hear them 5 miles away

Tommays

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You just have to love the harley guys t-shirts that say "loud pipes save lives"... I completely disagree, loud pipes don't save lives, they just **** everyone off..

Those always crack me up.

"I have loud pipes to save my life."

OK, then why are your hands five inches above parallel with your shoulders where you can't get any leverage, why did you put on a chopper fork that destroyed the bike's handling, why are your feet on extensions with no access to the brake pedal, and for God's sake, why are you riding a bike that hasn't been substantially redesigned since the '50s?

As to the argument that a captain's call allows you to hear what your motor is doing, I say get yourself a hearing aid if you're having trouble hearing what your motor is doing. A stock I/O is plenty loud. IMHO, a person who uses a captain's call is no better than a 19-year-old with hip-hop playing his 125 decibel subwoofers.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I did a little nosing around and found some info that might be interesting.

There are indeed some states that outright prohibit exhaust "cutouts" but it's possible that a Corsa Capts Call (with muffler type tips) wouldn't be classified as "cutouts" since the exhaust is not "unmuffled"

This appears to be fairly current on noise info across the US.

This http://www.corsaperf.com/mlaws.htm shows noise regulations by state, but it's about 10 years old and may not be very current.

I think using the Capts Call diverters and ASR exhaust silencers would produce acceptable noise levels for most states and would probably not be intrusive for most people.

If I decide to re-connect my Capt Call diverters, I'll probably get the ASR Silencers.

Otherwise I'll put the diverter valves on ebay and use the money for GAS!!!:cool:

Cheers,

Rick

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

SWEET
thanx for the info guys. i thought the captains call was the name for side exhausts instead of through transom exhausts. I just thought it woudl give me some performance but I dont want it loud. i had a yamaha Waveraider 1100 that sounded liek a V8 and it was a little 3 cylinder. top speed was abotu 64 on radar and GPS and it took off liek a bat out of hell. I beat manu "new' skis with it but I got tired of riding by myself cause the wife didnt ride her ski much. i think hers had 20 hours on it when we sold them. Moved up to a boat. She hated my ski. She woudl always say its too loud. What I liked was the guys in the speed boats would throttle down. I had a ton of what the hell is in that thing questions.
Either way it doesnt sound liek Ill be putting a captains call on the boat.
I dont really want a loud boat. if I wanted that I woudl of bought a jet boat with a big block

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't bash harley-davidson, they have the fastest streetbike in a quarter mile..... towing a plow :)...... And their new advertising slogan "be a rebel and join the crowd" is brilliant :) :)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Those always crack me up.

"I have loud pipes to save my life."

OK, then why are your hands five inches above parallel with your shoulders where you can't get any leverage, why did you put on a chopper fork that destroyed the bike's handling, why are your feet on extensions with no access to the brake pedal, and for God's sake, why are you riding a bike that hasn't been substantially redesigned since the '50s?

As to the argument that a captain's call allows you to hear what your motor is doing, I say get yourself a hearing aid if you're having trouble hearing what your motor is doing. A stock I/O is plenty loud. IMHO, a person who uses a captain's call is no better than a 19-year-old with hip-hop playing his 125 decibel subwoofers.

Sorry, but ya need a life thats a little more interesting. Been saddle time on HD's for 47 years, a FREAKING LOUD Sportster Dragbike ..a 1972 motor by the way.., (last 2-3 years the Suzi crap (sooo quiet) has lost out to an HD design in the NHRA too) , a apehanger slighty muffled Shovelhead thats been with me since 79, and a big old red Bagger that has more miles on her than the town *****, and just about every state too..
Boats? Get yer lazy butt out of ML...come on down to the bottom of the sound. I got a loud 16 foot Flatbottom, quiet kinda 20 footer, and a big boat that I need to pull the hatch to see if it running. Friend just bought a 29 foot Fountain..twin 502's......LOVE the scream when it flys by at 100mph. We have a couple guys that FLY by at 90+ after working in OLY, then heading back north. LOVE OTT pipes on a drag boat, always will. The thing is the person behind the wheel is the idiot (10%) at pissing off the other 90% of us. Easy with the broad brush...(and hold yer darn ears this weekend ..NHRA Nitro cars are in town...or do you object to that too...?)
Remember it aint what makes noise, its who's behind the making of it. Any kid pissing off the neighbors with loud music has parents that need there ***** kicked....

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, but ya need a life thats a little more interesting. Been saddle time on HD's for 47 years, a FREAKING LOUD Sportster Dragbike ..a 1972 motor by the way.., (last 2-3 years the Suzi crap (sooo quiet) has lost out to an HD design in the NHRA too) , a apehanger slighty muffled Shovelhead thats been with me since 79, and a big old red Bagger that has more miles on her than the town *****, and just about every state too..
Boats? Get yer lazy butt out of ML...come on down to the bottom of the sound. I got a loud 16 foot Flatbottom, quiet kinda 20 footer, and a big boat that I need to pull the hatch to see if it running. Friend just bought a 29 foot Fountain..twin 502's......LOVE the scream when it flys by at 100mph. We have a couple guys that FLY by at 90+ after working in OLY, then heading back north. LOVE OTT pipes on a drag boat, always will. The thing is the person behind the wheel is the idiot (10%) at pissing off the other 90% of us. Easy with the broad brush...(and hold yer darn ears this weekend ..NHRA Nitro cars are in town...or do you object to that too...?)
Remember it aint what makes noise, its who's behind the making of it. Any kid pissing off the neighbors with loud music has parents that need there ***** kicked....

Look, all I'm saying is if you have a loud exhaust, you have it because you like noise. People need to cut the double-talk crap. No "I can hear what my engine is doing better with a through-hull" or "I'm trying to alert motorists of my bike's presence" crap. The impulse toward loud exhausts is the same impulse that made you put playing cards in your bicycle spokes when you were a kid. I've talked to a lot of Harley guys. Some folks are interested in performance, but most of the newbies just ask "are those pipes loud?" As I said, it's just the same as the punk with the stereo. Too many people trying to get noticed for the wrong reasons.

If it's adding to the top-end performance of a race-prepped motor in a racing environment, I'm all for it. If it's just there for sound, it's a silly affectation.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

What does any of this have to do with loud pipes then? Thats what gets me irritated. And on the design, well, think SBC (small block chevy)...nuff said..Peace